Paypal Appeal Successful, but no refund

I recently had a customer open an 'item not received' dispute on Paypal which paypal initially approved and awarded the customer their money back.

Upon appealing and once again providing online tracking information showing that the customer had received the item, Paypal said the appeal had been successful and had emailed the buyer saying to pay us what was owed.

Our relationship with the buyer had not been good due to the delay in receiving their item... they'd gone so far as to send abusive messages to us saying that we'd ruined their daughters birthday, etc. The issue was that the company that we use for warehousing/distribution used the wrong courier to send the item (a courier which would only deliver to business addresses) so that caused the delay. Overall it was probably 2 weeks between the order and the customer receiving their item. 

Once we found out we offered them to still send the item and give them a $40 refund as well (product was $180 inc shipping or something like that) which they agreed to (although still weren't happy).

So now the appeal has gone through, I have asked PayPal how we will go about getting our money and PayPal's reply is:

-----------

I understand the concerns you have regarding this matter.

You provided us with valid tracking information, and as a result, we sent a courtesy email to your buyer requesting that they send you a full refund.

If you have not received this refund, please contact the buyer to arrange payment.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

----------------

I have asked three times what happens if they buyer does not pay, and each time they send a variation of the text above. Any suggestions on what the next step might be?

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Don`t email, phone paypal,  make sure they understand the buyer has the item, and your appeal was upheld, so the funds should be returned to your account.   I am surprised they have refunded the buyer, usually PP will hold the funds until a dispute is completed.

If you do not get immediate satisfaction from paypal  inform them you will be contacting the financial ombudsman, as they had no right to refund the buyer after proof of delivery was provided. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is only with the heart one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

I think the issue was with the initial dispute was the tracking details I provided were for the first courier who ended up not delivering the item... once we sent it out with a new courier I was unable to change the tracking details submitted so uploaded it as an image instead but have no idea whether they even looked at that... 

Once the case closed and I opened an appeal and sent the new tracking info showing it had been delivered they approved the appeal nice and quick... now I'm stuck beating my head against a brick customer support wall. 

I'll try giving them a ring tomorrow, thanks for the advice.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Once a dispute is closed and the buyer is given a refund then Paypal cannot claw that payment back from the buyer.

Usually if you appeal and Paypal agree your are in the right they will make a discretionary payment which comes from them, not the buyer.

You need to call them, keep cool and be polite, it is pointless losing your temper with them as you want them on your side, explain that you had seller protection which they have now acknowledged so you want your money back, if they refuse a payment ask to speak to a supervisor. If that doesn't work tell them calmly that you will be making a complaint to the financial authorities, follow up with an email confirming that if the money is not back in your account within 48 hours you will go to the FOS.

It does sound as if you did stuff up a bit if you used the wrong courier so the goods were delayed so I can understand the buyer being a tad annoyed.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

We completely understood the buyer being annoyed, I'd be annoyed too if I was buying a gift for someone for their birthday, expected delivery in ~5 days and it took over two weeks. 

So we offered them the choice of a refund or the item sent & a partial refund which they accepted.

Of course, they're not so willing to part with that money now that paypal has ruled in their favour and they've got both the item and money in their pockets.

As for the courier, while it does reflect badly on us it was the 3rd party company we use for our warehousing / distribution that made the error there. I don't even think they've managed to get the item back from the courier they used. Headaches all over the place!

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply