Paypal Chargeback on eBay managed payments

cft207
Community Member

Hello,
I know this subject has been discussed but just wanting to share scenario in case it may assist others.

On different eBay account I sold a used electric motor that needs to be connected to specific control circuit board and machine type to operate. Motor was tested working before posting eBay listing.

Item sold and buyer received - He stated such in an eBay message. He then opened an INR case with eBay. This was near immediately closed in my/sellers favour due to tracking info, and his own admission.

Buyer stated he connected motor and said it ran for a while, then stopped.  I asked buyer about what type of machine and electronics he connected it to but he ignored me completely. I was a little suspicious as at this time only he was then claiming the motor was water damaged, and also that buyer lives in remote country region but had said that, on same day he received my motor and used it, that he bought a brand new motor type, installed it in his machine and it worked OK - I live in the city and couldn't get a new electric motor for this type of machine in one day, even if money was no issue at all. Often can't find them at all, and sometimes they can be found from Chinese manufacturers via AliExpress....I also service these machine types.

Another case on eBay was then opened, which turned out to be a chargeback situation from his linked financial provider. That's the backstory.

eBay were next to useless, giving opportunity for seller to provide 1 only jpeg as rebuttal evidence. I explained to them that there's not much that can be proven by a single jpeg in regard to a significantly not as described case. eBay repeatedly said it's out of their hands. After some discussions they let on to me that PayPal was the buyers linked financial service provider. Paypal couldn't / wouldn't help at all at first given case was between their member/the buyer, and eBay managed payments. I managed to get PayPal's PP- case ID number from eBay and went back to PayPal to pursue again.

Paypal supervisor explained in detail to me that eBay weren't replying to PayPal's requests for evidence.
I'd also explained to eBay that the buyer had returned the motor to me and it was received missing parts ( side motor brush covers were missing ). eBay staff stated they'd informed PayPal of the missing parts, and PayPal staff state they were not advised of this at all, other than from myself.

In short eBay were just letting the chargeback run it's course and although they actually told me "they'd be doing everything in their ability to assist me with the case" they were doing nothing. 

Case was closed in favour of buyer. Item refunded, postage refunded, and eBay then charged me an additional $22 "chargeback fee"  I mean, what a rort. $22 is from eBay , and not PayPal.

AFCA case against financial institution, in this case Paypal, with eBay taken out of the loop altogether, with exception of also opening NSW Fair Trading case against eBay.

Dealing directly with Paypal I was advised case re-opened.

Case now found in sellers favour and all moneys returned.

So, in the case this may assist others, my advice is to deal with eBay only as much as necessary, ( such as getting chargeback info and/or case number etc) ,  but "get things done" by dealing directly with the financial institution handling the chargeback.

I was equally surprised at how little support eBay gave, whilst PayPal was willing to deal with me directly even though transaction between their member who was the buyer, and on paper , eBay.

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

An excellent, albeit unsurprising, insight into Ebay's level of caring

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

yum_pc
Community Member

Thanks for sharing. I currently have a similar case and waiting for the outcome.

May I know how can you get the buyer's financial service provider and case number? I talk to the CS by phone, they did not disclose it to me but I guessed the buyer was using PayPal.

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply