What I like About eBay ........ A positive thread for a change

Yes really,............. there's plenty of us who have been around for years despite all of eBays well documented problems, so there must be something that keeps us here. Feel free to add your posts on the things you enjoy about selling on ebay.

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

For me its the interesting finds I come across and the stories they tell. 

Last week I picked up an old family bible at a garage sale in a bunch of old books. I didnt pay it much attention at the time, but when I went to list it on eBay, I realised it was an important part of South Australia's social / family history.

The bible had an ornate gilt bookplate to the inside cover which noted the book was a gift from a nurseryman in England to his Grandson. The book also contained a photograph dating from 1894 and an obituary dating from 1899. This was enough information to do some research. 

Turns out the recipient of the bible was the second in command on a migrant ship, bound for South Australia on 1837. ( twelve months after the colonial settlement was established ) Story has it that during the voyage he was commanded by the Captain of the ship to flog one of the passengers, something he refused to do. As a result the Captain ordered his second in command to be flogged, but being a popular chap, no-one else would follow the order. A mutiny then ensued with the Bible recipient taking charge of the ship for the completion of its journey to the Colony of South Australia. 

Two months after arrival, the settler married a 14 year old passenger from his ship, something that was scandelous even then. The couple went on to become well known pioneering families, establishing  businesses and a large family.

All up a fascinating story. I am in the process of returning the bible to descendants of the family, something I have been able to do in the past with similar Family Bibles.  I find the research involved in returning long lost items of Historical interest to there rightful place very interesting and its nice to see lost items of social or historical significance valued again.

Picture 46899.jpg

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

Fascinating back history to that bible. I just hope the present family members appreciate your gesture and take care to preserve the bible and the story behind it.

I have a copy of the diary one of my ancestors kept on a ship to Adelaide from Guernsey in the Channel Islands. Bit later than your bible owner though, in the 1850s. The original is in French but luckily I have a translated copy.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

Your diary sounds like a great piece of family history and would make for interesting reading.

Like a lot of eBay sellers, I sell the stuff that interests me. I have been fortunate to be able to build a good little business that handles some interesting things at times, most of which I would never come across if it wasnt for selling on ebay. I also get to meet some interesting people I would never meet otherwise. Often these are international buyers with similar interests to my own and it is  selling on eBay that provides these opportunities.

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply