Paypal Ripoff ...

On the 5th September, 2014, I sold a pre loved top to a buyer for $9.95 plus $7.50 postage. On Thursday I received an email from Paypal telling me that a case had been taken out against me by the buyer. I have no idea why she took out the case as I was not given any details by Paypal.

I am at a complete loss to understand how this case could have been taken out as 1. The purchase took place before the new 180 day money back guarantee policy came into force and 2. The buyer had already left positive feedback way back then.

I contacted paypal ASAP and sent proof of postage (Australia Post lodgment receipt with tracking number) and the original eBay record of the sale showing buyers name and address details, etc. I thought that would be enough but have now been told that because my parcel was not eligible for Seller Protection the buyer has been given $17.45 of my money courtesy of Paypal. Unbelievable!!!

I thought that when I stopped selling last October I would not fall victim to Paypal's idiotic policy. How wrong was I? It seems their tallons are sharp and far reaching.

So, I have now sent Paypal my feedback page showing the positive remarks left by this buyer after she received her parcel.

This is one buyer you should to add to your special list. Freda is 60 and twice her name again.

I have threatened Paypal with A Current Affair but don't expect to get any compensation.

How can they get away with what they do?

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Paypal Ripoff ...

if you read your message again you will probably find it is a c/card Bank Chargeback (thru Paypal), and out of paypal's hands.

if you still have the proof of postage you can contest a Bank Chargeback but many banks do have that right for 3-6-9 months after sale.

the actual buyer may be unaware the Bank has instigated this

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

I would be ringing them back after the long weekend and demanding to speak to a supervisor. As you said, this happened way before the 180 day carp came in, so any chance of a dispute would have been long passed. If you get no satisfaction, I would lodge a dispute with the FOS immediately. 

Was the buyer told to send the item back, or did they get the money 6 months later and get to keep it? I don't think I've heard a bigger load of carp in my life!

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

The woman opened a case against me with Paypal. Paypal told me they were holding funds until they made a decision. Why would this have anything to do with the bank?

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Does the email give any hint at all why this has happened?

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Thank you for your reply Sheepy. Good to see you again 🙂

The amount was only $17.45 a small amount but my money nonetheless.

I will see what comes out of the email I sent Paypal today attaching a printout of the Positive Feedback comment she left for me on my feeback page. I did email her also and give her a small piece of my mind. If Paypal still refuse to reconsider I will lodge a complaint against Paypal with the Financial Ombudsman as I know I have been ripped off.

No, the buyer did not return the item so she probably wasn't asked to do so by Paypal.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Nothing. I was given no explanation at all. I have no idea what the case was based upon.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

After this amount of time the only reason a case can be opened is for a credit card chargeback. The email from Paypal will say that the buyer has instigated it. The buyer would have gone to the bank and then the bank contacts Paypal.

For seller protection to apply for a credit card chargeback you need to provide documentation from Australia Post showing the buyers delivery address - an ebay invoice does not provide sufficient proof for a credit card chargeback case.

You could try contacting the buyer and asking why they have done it. Sometimes in these situation the buyer has forgotten what they purchased and will offer to repay the money. You will most likely also be charged a $15.00 fee by Paypal so you could ask the buyer to cover that as well.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Hi, Paypal sent me a notification email telling me that a case had been opened against me and by whom. I was given no further information. I was given a chance resolve the case by replying directly to Paypal which I did. I sent them an email accompanied by proof of postage etc. At no time was the term 'chargeback' used.

Today I received an email from Paypal telling me that the funds have been reversed from the funds I had available in my Paypal account balance. I know nothing more.

I have emailed the buyer.

Thanks for your reply.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply