Personal information

Why does Ebay require personal information like Drivers licence number or passport number and date of birth. That has NEVER been a requirement for the sixteen years I have been a member. This seems highly irregular. They have stopped me from buying and/or selling until I provide such personal information. There are plenty of hackers out there and if they hacked this info your identity would be at risk.

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Personal information

All eBay needs from me is my PayID (Australian Banking system got this right!!). I am happy to take any risk associated with the payment getting to me. I am not interested in entrusting my private details to eBay. eBay says it needs this information for my security - but the very act of providing it renders me more vulnerable!

If eBay doesn't change its 'rules' sellers are just going to walk away. If Australia has recently had privacy breaches with Medibank and Optus, what's happening in the rest of the world. eBay is behind the times.

Message 21 of 25
Latest reply

Best start walking because they are'nt going to change it

It has been in place for well over two years now (long before the recent security breaches), so why wait so long to speak up? it was even announced two years prior to actually coming in, so over four years you had to 'protest' 

You state eBay is behind the times

Have you bothered to look into why they are required, by law to do it?

Message 22 of 25
Latest reply

@sandypebbles wrote:

Have you bothered to look into why they are required, by law to do it?

Ah Sandy, Sandy, Sandy - maybe the Australian Government Regulations don't apply to calloyd55. ๐Ÿคฃ

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 23 of 25
Latest reply

There is a lot of that going on around here lately.  People who think rules & regs only apply to everyone else.  If peeps dont want to play the right way, dont play.

Message 24 of 25
Latest reply

@daydreams_12 wrote:

There is a lot of that going on around here lately.  People who think rules & regs only apply to everyone else.  If peeps dont want to play the right way, dont play.

I saw on the news tonight a guy in a red suit having his luggage checked at the airport.  He didnโ€™t have a suitcase or backpack, just a red sack.  They were thorough in their checking.  Not sure if he thought heโ€™d be able to just walk through customs and immigration . . . but nobody is exempt!

Message 25 of 25
Latest reply