Personal information

Why does Ebay require personal information like Drivers licence number or passport number and date of birth. That has NEVER been a requirement for the sixteen years I have been a member. This seems highly irregular. They have stopped me from buying and/or selling until I provide such personal information. There are plenty of hackers out there and if they hacked this info your identity would be at risk.

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Personal information

It's called Managed Payments...see the very many threads about it

Message 2 of 25
Latest reply

Personal information

I will not be selling on this platform again.

Message 3 of 25
Latest reply

Personal information

Hope you find somewhere where bitcoin is accepted as payment.

Message 4 of 25
Latest reply

Personal information

It's not Ebay - it's Adyen, (which is the replacement for Paypal) that is requiring this information.

They are regulated by the govt, so they have to comply with required identification etc, in the same way that Paypal required your information in the past in order to verify who you are. 

Many other platforms require this info -  Ebay has been the exception up until now.

Message 5 of 25
Latest reply

Personal information

I doubt they accept it at the airport

Spoiler
Or other places departures are of interest 
Message 6 of 25
Latest reply

Personal information

xkell
Community Member

My understanding is the managed payments ID requirement only relates to selling. If the OP's buying is impacted as well, wouldn't it be some other cause, or is the OP simply mistaken about their account having a buying restriction?

Message 7 of 25
Latest reply

Personal information

Interesting that Adyen is trading at $1,710 per share (Euro)

Message 8 of 25
Latest reply

Personal information

Mate I completely agree.

I have been a eBay / PayPal account holder since 2003.

I have an  eBay account with a 100% feedback rating and over 500+ purchases.

There is no reason PayPal needs my drivers licence. (Assuming I had one, which I don't)

I have a credit card,  and bank account linked to PayPal which "should be" enough.

Everything has been fine 17+ years. I have never had my Paypal account compromised.

I do not want to apply for credit nor do I want Paypal's buy now / pay later features .

In my eye's thats just a trap that dupe people into buying things they cannot afford.

Ebay / PayPal you need to consider an opt-out feature or many will completely abandon your platforms.

If I cannot pay with Paypal and force me to buy with my credit card ,then explain why I should not just shop at Amazon or some where else? Paypal was what made eBay great, but your crossing that line , when you asking me to hand over my ID. There is no reason PayPal needs my ID Details when they have my bank account and credit card already. 

Your going to loose a lot of old loyal customers due to nothing more than your greed and wanting to push your buy now pay later agenda. !  Amazon don't Demand I hand over my ID details when I want to buy something. eBay better  fix this quick,  before all your customers start shopping elsewhere. 

Message 9 of 25
Latest reply

Personal information

eBay wants personal information even from buyers. yeah , no thanks. there are other large retailers I can purchase things from without needing to hand over my personal details.

Message 10 of 25
Latest reply