Please help i am being ripped off by buyer

I just recieved this message and was hoping someone could help with how to respond. This item is definitely not fake.

Hi
Just received desperate housewives very angry
Because it is 100% a pirated copy plz refund
My money IMMEDIATELY or I will be forced
To report u to eBay the police and leave negative
Feedback warning every1 they are all pirated
All I want is my money back so I can buy a legitimate
Version
Cheers

Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: Please help i am being ripped off by buyer

It was just a suggestion, in the original thread the op was threatened with police and the like!

This was all that was suggested, give the buyer the opportunity as they stated.

Of course the local police would assist and direct them to the right department to investigate that sort of crime.

Message 21 of 37
Latest reply

The OP said he is sure they are not fake, if he is drop shipping how can he be so sure ?

And yes the email from the buyer seems rude and aggresive, but if the dvd's are fake, wouldnt any of you be pissed off receiving pirated copies ?

I dont know if there has been any other emails between the 2 parties, I dont know if the buyer has been burned before by fakes, or how much he paid for these dvd's.

But if i was the seller i would be trying my hardest to get the dvd's back into my hands so i could check to see if they are or are not fakes, and if they are i would be very apologetic to the buyer.

Message 22 of 37
Latest reply

The whole thing depends on the legitimacy of the disks. If the seller has a receipt from a retail outlet or from an authorised re-seller of the item then they should just tell the buyer to prove it is fake. If the buyer provides that proof I cannot see any point in asking for it to be returned.

If they don't have that level of proof then they cannot know if what they are selling is genuine or if it is one of the almost undetectable pirated copies that are on sale all over.

You will nor receive a fake DVD if you are buying direct from Amazon however Amazon also allow private sellers to list.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 23 of 37
Latest reply

I doubt it is the case with Desperate Housewives, but Amazon do have a "burn on demand" service for some movies and TV shows - in other words, they have the distribution rights, and will manufacture the disc when it is purchased. They usually do this for films and shows that have a more cult status than mainstream, guaranteeing enough sales without investing too heavily in manufacturing costs. These discs are typically DVD-Rs, so will appear pirated to those who are not aware they're legitimately produced this way.

I know that's a bit irrelevant to this case, but worthwhile knowing just the same. 

Also, fake DVDs can often be detected by the matrix codes. (If they don't have any when they're supopsed to, obviously fake, but if they do have matrix codes, check online sources to see if they correspond to the item and correct manufacturing plant). 

Message 24 of 37
Latest reply

DG can you give me a link to the burn on demand as I can't find anything about it on Amazon. I should imagine that if you purchase that way you are only allowed to use them yourself and are not allowed to sell them on.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 25 of 37
Latest reply

Wouldn't I get a slap for linking directly to them, lol.... 😛

The reason I know about this is because I signed a petition for MTV to release the animated series of Sam Keith's The Maxx to DVD, and after a couple of years they finally gave it to them to produce this way.

So yeah, if you look at The Maxx: The Complete Series (2009) you will see a note on the product description that says: DVD-R Note: This product is manufactured on demand when ordered from A... with a Learn More link. 

The Learn More link says (amongst a few other paragraphs):

Through manufacturing on demand, CreateSpace, part of the Amazon.com group of companies, enables Amazon.com to offer music and video content that might not otherwise be available. Each disc comes fully packaged, with artwork, in a standard jewel case for audio and an Amaray case for video, although for reissued products the artwork may differ from the original.

The only mention of policies surrounding these discs is that the standard return policies apply. 

Message 26 of 37
Latest reply

Even major retail stores sell plenty of pirated DVDs, but it's usually just of older material, such as those bodgy multi-disc sets of old kung fu, western and sci-fi movies.

Message 27 of 37
Latest reply

DG can you give me a link to the burn on demand as I can't find anything about it on Amazon.

They do this with plenty of Hanna-Barbera cartoons, such as the Amazing Chan Clan, Funky Phantom and so on.... titles that would not be popular enough to be pressed en masse but do have a niche market.

Message 28 of 37
Latest reply

I just think this buyer sends the same messages to everyone they buy dvd's from to try there luck to see who sends them the money back and they score a whole lota freebies

When life gives you lemons.
Squeeze them into people's eyes
Message 29 of 37
Latest reply

cq_tech
Community Member

That's not a very nice accusation to make against a buyer when you have no evidence whatsoever to support your assertion. People have been sued for suggesting less. 😐

Message 30 of 37
Latest reply