Policy on replacing Damaged items during transit?

Hello Everyone

I received a very aggressive email from a buyer regarding an item that she purchased stating it was broken. Below is the first email.

The glass is broken. Why did you send me a broken candle.
Please send me a non broken one.
Or I ll be reporting It.
If you normally do this that s theft

I responded to the buyer offering to replace the item if she could send me a photo of the damaged candle.  The buyer then stated that she threw it out because her one year old was playing with the broken candle and her Dad threw it in the bin.  I became very suspicious, firstly because of the aggression and secondly she was unable to provide any evidence that she received a broken candle in the post and I was very concerned that her child had cut herself on the candle.  Her 8 emails over the next 2 hours became more abusive. I then checked her feedback and noticed that she has only been a member since the end of September 2015 and has had 194 purchases in this time. This has also made me suspicious that is a huge amount of shopping in less than 30 days.  The buyer also reported the damage 10 days after receiving it.  We package our candles very carefully and on rare occasions we have had breakages, we gladly replace or refund our customers. When this happens our customers are usually really polite and ready to work out a solution and happy to provide photos.  I have been looking on Ebay's policy regarding returns and damages and it seems providing evidence of damages is optional?

My question is... If a customer states that there item was damaged in transit do you require them to provide a photo or do you you automatically refund no questions asked.  

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

yes for me, no photo =no refund or replacement.

Have a look at the feedback she has left for other sellers. Are there many negs or comments regarding refunds or replacements?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

yes for me, no photo =no refund or replacement.

Have a look at the feedback she has left for other sellers. Are there many negs or comments regarding refunds or replacements?

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Thank you Harley Babes for your reply:smileyhappy

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Sorry I didn't see the entire message. All the feedback is positive from the sellers and the buyer has only left 4 or 5 positive feedback for the 194 transactions, one says "cancel please"  I just think it is bizarre that she is placing 6 or so orders a day and never leaves feedback only receives

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Sounds to me, with that number of 'purchases' that she's e-shoplifting.

If your item is damaged upon delivery please take a photo and send to us and your candle will be replaced with pleasure.

Your policy states that you will replace but that photos must be supplied.

I'd stick with that.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Thank you yes I think she may be e-shoplifting also.  Very sus to me. I have heard nothing from her since yesterday evening and she has not opened a case or given me negative feedback yet. So I will wait and see what happens.  99% of our customers are lovely and I have been in retail 20 plus years but you always seem to get that one customer who is threatening and aggressive from the outset. It's so unnecessary.  Thanks for taking the time to respond and give your advice. Much appreciated.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

I've only had a few issues with breakages. Most of the buyers have sent a photo with the message. The other sent one when asked. None asked for a refund or opened a dispute, but I still replaced if I had another or refunded. 

Your buyer sounds very suspect. As mentioned, I would be enforcing your policy of no photo, no refund. It only takes one refund for someone to realise how easy it is and they become shoplifters. 

Add her to your blocked buyer list too so she can't buy anything else. 

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond.  I have added her to my blocked list. Like you I am happy to refund and replace but this buyer is very sus. 

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply