Politely refusing combined postage?

I offer combined shipping, which is fine, for satchels. However, many of my items are sent via large letter. Some can be combined, but many can not, only one will fit in the large letter, and two large letters is still cheaper than a parcel. 

Nonetheless I constantly get people asking for a combined invoice for two items, both of which are listed with $2.50 postage costs. I don't know what to say to these people. The truth is I CANT combine them, but I feel like, if I say that, I risk coping a low DSR for postage cost or even a neg for not combining because buyers don't care how australia post handles letters and packages, so at the moment I end up dropping a few dollars out of my profit to discount it for them. 

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

aps1080
Community Member

I was going to say "buyer expectations" and your explanation but having read it in your description, I like it.

The only thing I would possibly do is make it less wordy and point form.

And maybe bold some words to highlight.

Where you have "I LOVE TO combine shipping", I would add "WHERE POSSIBLE - See notes below"

"The truth is I CANT combine them,"

You need to say it like it is and maybe an indication in the description.

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

put your single postage price up to cover at least 2 items eg $5.00. If a buyer only purchases one item then refund them if you so choose. if they buy 2 items with postage @ $5.00 bucks each then you can combine postage happily for them.

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

When combining items, often it's more economical to use a satchel, which reduces the cost, however this isn't always the case unfortunately.  With the items you have bought, it is actually more economical to post them separately, as combining them would actually increase the shipping costs, thanks to Australia Post.

That's what I use - for exactly the same reason. I've had no blowback yet.

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

I have massive card envelopes (I think they are about A3 size). The postie must hate me. AusPost should make a fairer system.

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

@treasuress.4207 wrote:

When combining items, often it's more economical to use a satchel, which reduces the cost, however this isn't always the case unfortunately.  With the items you have bought, it is actually more economical to post them separately, as combining them would actually increase the shipping costs, thanks to Australia Post.

We use similar.

You could add a cut and paste from the Aus Post site:

A large letter can be up to 360mm x 260mm in size, 20mm thick and weigh up to 500 grams. Anything larger than this is a parcel.

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

dylan

We have a pretty good postal system in this country, considering how big it is. Yes, it is cracking under the strain but

we have plnety of options in most cases but you will always find some things just don't go. On the other hand,

satchels and letters as described above are great.

Some good examples are, you can post a DVD as a letter for I think about $1.70 across Aus. Satchels, 500gm, 3kg and5kg normal and Express make postage to far away places very enconomical.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

If something is under 500g I prefer to send as a letter and register rather than use a satchel, it depends on the order though, there is a little stuffing around. Plus stamps can be purchased cheap.

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

That's why I have an account plus a Rubber stamp. Plus the $ value doesn't show.

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

I state that I am happy to give a combined postage discount where it works out cheaper. In the rare case that it doesn't I just reply to the request explaining that combined would be more expensive.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 10 of 16
Latest reply