Postage Charges?

Can an ebay seller charge postage for additional items sold to the same buyer? 

Also, is it fair to include as part of costs for Packaging, Labour and Fees? 

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Postage Charges?

Yes a seller can charge more for each item in postage.

Yes they can charge for packing costs as they have to purchase it as well so are entitled to cover their expenses.

And the (labor) is known as handling.

No they can NOT ask you to pay for any fees incurred.

That should be built into their start price.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

You can charge extra per item if you wish, but buyers like it better if say 6 baby clothing items can fit into a 500gm satchel and you charge them only the $7.20, or have they gone up now to $7.85?

Rather than you charge them $7.20 for the first item and $2 for each item after that, then send them all together in a 500gm satchel, your then getting $17.20 for postage when sent in a 500gm satchel, i wouldnt be happy with that.

I always combine and reduce postage.

You can charge a fair amount for packaging but not for labour, and definately dont mention fees anywhere, your not allowed to charge for fees at all, but handling and packaging you can.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Of course a seller is entitled to charge extra postage for additional items.  Why would you expect to get additional items post free?

And yes, they can also charge a fee for packaging and handling.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Yes, sellers do not have to reduce postage for multiple purchases, even if they cost less to post together than if posted separately.  However, if lets say, 2 items together are just over the 500g, they cannot go together in 500g satchel.  Or couple of very light but relatively large items may be under 500g, but will not fit in the 500g satchel.  Unfortunately, it is not always possible to judge if postage is reasonable or not.  And of-course, you need to allow for cost of boxes and other packaging materials before deciding if the charge is too much.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Thanks guys. 

You have all helped out. 🙂

The additional costs is not for me to make any extra coin out of charging extra... 

It's for handling costs - bubble wrap, tape etc. 

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Combining postage is sometimes tricky too, as a buyer may purchase a 500g something and a 2kg something, and wonder why they don't get both sent for $6.50 postage being the 500g satchel. A tricky little situation sometimes 😞

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Sellers need to charge more for extra weight. No one wants to charge less that Aus Post charge.

TCT
Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

a buyer should confirm combined postage rates/costs before buying multiple items.

On another ID I had a buyer hit the Buy-Now button on two items.  One had free postage and the other had 500g satchel cost postage.  I had a line in my listings that "I do combine postage" and they messaged me to let me know that they expected the invoice to show free postage for combined postage.  I changed the line to clarify exactly what combined postage meant.

I think that buyers can have a skewed idea of the intricacies of selling and I recommend to all those who have been buyers only to give selling a try.  Sell just one or two small items.  It gives a totally different perspective to the eBaying experience and what sellers go through.