Postage Gripe

jvdv11
Community Member

The new Aust Post / eBay rates are a real pain - I generally use the eBay Aust Post satchels and what used to be the $7.55 charge for the 500gm satchel is now anywhere between $8.21 and $8.95. What was the 3 kg Medium satchel - which is now seems to be called the "Large Satchel" and which used to be $12.85 is now costing anywhere between $14.73 and $15.35. There is aparently a "Medium satchel" but I haven't seen them being available through Aust Posts eBay shop.

I called eBay and asked if they could offer a suggestion about what price to put in when listing an item and they suggest putting in the maximim amount - a sure way to discourage buyers.

I know the issue is with Aust Post's new pricing but a pain all the same. 

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Postage Gripe

Thank you!! I think a lot of AP staff are confused!
Message 11 of 20
Latest reply

Re the last half of what you said, my PO said AP will be selling the old satchels for a while yet because they've got lots of them in their warehouses and they'll just be putting stickers on them to say you can put 5kg in them.

About the tracking number, are you sure they didn't just say tracking rather than tracking number? What curra has quoted could be read two ways:

"Lodge in a red street posting box, OR over the counter... if you require proof of posting." The bit that says tracking included wouldn't guarantee that they'll be scanned if you drop them in a red box, just as it isn't now, and if you drop them in a red box you won't get a receipt either, which is another proof of posting.
Message 12 of 20
Latest reply

@curraone wrote:

Well it's early days yet - but so far I disagree.    I think it is easier, and in some cases cheaper.

Just use the small satchel, medium satchel, larger satchel rules and it just works out fine.   I particularly like that we can put up to 5 kg in the satchel.

OLD         NEW

500g   =  Small  = $8.95

1kg      =  Medium = 12.20

3kg      =  large  = $15.35

5kg      =  X Large = $18.50

are you saying that we can put up to 5kg into any size satchel for the cost of that satchel?  TIA

Message 13 of 20
Latest reply

Yes, you can put 5kg into any of the Aust Post satchels.

Message 14 of 20
Latest reply

It is worth repeating this previous post -  from the Aust Post site

new postage.JPG

Message 15 of 20
Latest reply

@curraone wrote:

Yes, you can put 5kg into any of the Aust Post satchels.

I just posted an item this morning and had to check with the post office first and it's now just as simple to use the post office satchels instead of the eBay one as they are the same price and as I only sell a little bit of stuff it's easier to just get a a new satchel each time I post something.

I then don't have to worry about label printing glitches,running out of ink or having to buy the satchels in advance in packs of 5

Plus it benefits AP and not another price gouge by eBay by failing to pass on a saving for part of the money they make from AP. 

Message 16 of 20
Latest reply

I certainly don't use eBay anymore, and won't until they price their 'service' realistically. If there's no benefit in it for me, there's no incentive to help them achieve their goal of driving revenue growth through seller charges rather than turnover.

Message 17 of 20
Latest reply

I've switched to printing through my post business. There's no more ebay discount so why would I help them pocket the difference between the full AP rate and their discounted rate that they're now not passing on. It's a little bit more annoying using the my post site than the ebay label page but worth it.

Message 18 of 20
Latest reply

Me too. I'm paying a premium until I hit the magic volume, but that is only marginally more then eBay. At least AP give the hint of a carrot at the end of the tunnel (mangled metaphor intended).

AP is certainly a learning curve, but the more I do the less frustrating it becomes.

Message 19 of 20
Latest reply

International is now cheap as I sent a 250gram parcel to the UK for $15 today and NZ is only $7.55.  On average small parcels will be cheaper to send to NZ than 20km down the road. As there is no tracking it will only be on cheaper items but it does come with free insurance. 

Message 20 of 20
Latest reply