Postage Gripe

jvdv11
Community Member

The new Aust Post / eBay rates are a real pain - I generally use the eBay Aust Post satchels and what used to be the $7.55 charge for the 500gm satchel is now anywhere between $8.21 and $8.95. What was the 3 kg Medium satchel - which is now seems to be called the "Large Satchel" and which used to be $12.85 is now costing anywhere between $14.73 and $15.35. There is aparently a "Medium satchel" but I haven't seen them being available through Aust Posts eBay shop.

I called eBay and asked if they could offer a suggestion about what price to put in when listing an item and they suggest putting in the maximim amount - a sure way to discourage buyers.

I know the issue is with Aust Post's new pricing but a pain all the same. 

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Postage Gripe

Well it's early days yet - but so far I disagree.    I think it is easier, and in some cases cheaper.

Just use the small satchel, medium satchel, larger satchel rules and it just works out fine.   I particularly like that we can put up to 5 kg in the satchel.

OLD         NEW

500g   =  Small  = $8.95

1kg      =  Medium = 12.20

3kg      =  large  = $15.35

5kg      =  X Large = $18.50

Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

Postage Gripe

I agree that new Aus Post rates seem fairer and easier.  But why has the Ebay rate $7.55 disappeared?

Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

Postage Gripe

@jane-de-cluttering wrote:

I agree that new Aus Post rates seem fairer and easier.  But why has the Ebay rate $7.55 disappeared?

Probably because eBay has seen a way to keep their volume discounts from AP.

There are several threads already about it.

Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

Postage Gripe

Can someone please tell me if I have got this right? 

Regarding pre-paid satchels - Australia Post offers 'If It Packs, It Posts' flat rate postage based on size Autralia wide whereas if I wanted to use eBay labels, I cant offer flat rate postage because it depends on zones? ie local, metro, regional?

Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

Postage Gripe

AP has varying discounts for those zones if you qualify for their volume discounts. If eBay are offering lower prices for those zones, then they have finally (after 2 months) come to the party and passed on some of their volume discounts. I don't know; I haven't had any parcel sales for a few days.

Rural is only ever going to be a few percent from now on, because that is all AP offer.

Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

Postage Gripe

@davewil1964 wrote:

AP has varying discounts for those zones if you qualify for their volume discounts. If eBay are offering lower prices for those zones, then they have finally (after 2 months) come to the party and passed on some of their volume discounts. I don't know; I haven't had any parcel sales for a few days.

Rural is only ever going to be a few percent from now on, because that is all AP offer.

But how can I list items with flat rate postage not knowing where a buyer will be located? Sorry if this sounds stupid but I'm totally confused. Smiley Frustrated

Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

Postage Gripe

'If It Packs, It Posts'.

It is flat rate. Just charge the higher amount. I doubt it will make a difference except for same city. 

Or use MyPost Business. Or prepaid satchels/boxes.

YOU need to work out what works for YOU.

Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

Postage Gripe

I'm confused about 2 things. Not complaining, but just puzzled.

1. An AP person today told me that with the new satchels, for example the small one (old 500g), you pay $8.95 for the postage plus 25c for the satchel, so a total of $9.20.

They then said if you buy the new satchels, you can't just later on pack and post them in a post box, but you must lodge them over the counter in order to get the tracking number. This is awkward for me, as I tend to post my parcels everyday wherever I happen to be in all different post boxes.

The weird thing is, the tracking number was already on the satchel. So...what??

2. Many AP people have said the old satchels are now NEVER going to be phased out and both old and new will be sold. AND she said the old 500g satchels for instance, can also hold 5kg. So the same as the new ones. When I asked why anyone would pay more for the new ones, she said she had no idea.

Um...ok.
Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

Postage Gripe

Well as to part one:  that information is definitely wrong.

I can see on Aust Post site the prepaid satchels - for example:

Parcel Post Small Satchel - 10 pack

SKU #0590825
$ 89. 70
($8.97 per satchel)

and it says:

Lodge in a red street-posting box or over the counter at an Australia Post retail outlet if you require proof of posting

Tracking included

Plus you can buy the unpaid satchels for 25c and  use the Aust Post or Ebay postage labels online.   

Message 10 of 20
Latest reply