Postage not paid

Hi guys hope someone can help me here. I sold a sweater and buyer contacted me to remove postage as they would send me a postage bag. Postage bag (parcel post bag) arrived and I had to pay $9.15 to collect it as he didn't pay the postage to me, nor did he have a return address to send it back. Australia post said if I don't pay it they will through it out, I am not sending sweater until he pays $9.15 contacted ebay (which is extremely hard) and said I need to request the money. Buyer has now opened a case against me for non delivery.

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Postage not paid

No good deed goes unpunished.

Never allow a buyer to dictate the shipping terms.

I would have cancelled as problem with buyer's address.

I would not have paid the $9.15.

I guess all you can do is refund & take the hit.

Add the ID to your BBL.

Others will be along to offer advice.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

The first red flag would have been the fact that the buyer asked you to remove postage so they can send a bag - if you think about it, it makes no sense that a buyer would change out your satchel with his satchel.

The second red flag would have been that you had to pay to collect the satchel. 

Sounds like a buyer who has set themselves up to fleece gullible sellers.

I would just refund and add him to your blocked list as advised.

Unfortunately you won't be able to get your $9.15 back as this buyer had every intention of scamming you in the first place. I think he was just hoping you would send the item as you would have had an address to send it to - it would be on the order itself so he didn't have to write it on the satchel.

What is this buyers feedback left for others?

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Thank you, I will refund. 

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Thank you I've decided to refund.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

Just saw his feedback his scammed one other person.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Always, always check a buyers feedback left for other sellers as this will give you an indication of what to expect from them. I've cancelled transactions and put a number of buyers on my blocked list after seeing their feedback as it is just not worth the risk.

At least this way you're out only $9 bucks which you can probably claim as a business expense when you do your taxes.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

I've just realised that since you had to pay $9.15 to get the satchel he sent you, and there is no address on it, you can definitely use it yourself to send a future item to another buyer.

The whole thing is just weird.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

He had sent me a Satchel, it was inside the one I had paid its sticky and dirty, I forgot to mention the one I paid for had no barcodes that's why I had to pay, I realised after leaving the post office I should have left it and let them deal with it as he would have needed to provide tracking number. I attached photo of the message he sent me after receiving the parcel 

20210522_054904.jpg

โ€ƒ

โ€ƒ

Thanks for your help 

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Dis you explain to the buyer that the satchel was not paid for and therefore he/she needs to pay the postage before the item can be shipped?

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply