Posted item in excellent condition but was received broken

I sent an item in excellent condition that was wrapped in bubble wrap and had newspaper scrunched up around it. When it was received it was broken. Can anyone help me with what to do. I posted it through Australia Post

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Oh dear

Australia Post says things should be able to withstand being dropped from a great height and 20kg dropped on them (or something like that)

Was it an especially fragile item?  (not that AP have a fraile servce, in fact, writing fragile on something seems to make them more determined to damge it)

Has the seller requested a refund/opened a dispute?

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Has the buyer sent pictures?

They need to do that so that you can deternine -

a) what may have happened

b) that they are not trying to pull a fast one.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Provided the buyer shows proof of the damage, refund them in full.

As noted, AP requires parcels to be able to withstand being dropped from waist-height and having a 22kg parcel dropped on them (not necessarily by a flat surface). If it was broken, there is a good chance AP will say it wasn't packaged properly.

I have heard double-boxing is the minimum you should use for fragile items. That is - pack it in bubblewrap/newspaper; put it in a box, pack out the box, making sure the article doesn't touch any part of the box; put this box in a bigger box, packing out as per box #1.

How did YOU pack, other than bubblewrap and newspaper?

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Most of the items I post are fragile and I've never had a breakage. In the case of the coffee pot and the tureen. As a minimum, the coffee pot should have been stuffed with packing peanuts, tissue paper, newspaper or bubble wrap. The lid should have been wrapped separately. It then should have been wrapped in several layers of newspaper or tissue paper, then wrapped in several layers of that thin foam packaging and then several layers of bubble wrap.

Before going into the box, a thick layer of packaging should be in the bottom. Then place the wrapped pot and pack around it and on top of it with more packaging. Hold the lid of the box closed, pick it up and shake it. If you can feel ANY movement, even a tiny amount, stuff more in there.

The same can be said for the tureen. Anything with a cavity should have the cavity filled. I always put paper and/or the thin foamy stuff around before bubble wrap as in summer, the heat can cause the bubble wrap to expand and crack fragile items. It adds a bit of a buffer. 

Of your current listings, the 2 vases, make sure they are stuffed before packing. Wrap them separate and make sure there is a buffer between them in the box. They can't be touching at all. 

The rocking horse and bookends, I would be tearing strips of that thin foam stuff and wrapping it around each part (that doesn't make sense! To put it another way, if you were wrapping your hand, it would still look like a hand :D). Once you have a thick layer of that, then wrap in several layers of bubble wrap.

The trick is, you want zero dead space and that includes inside the item. Any dead space can cause movement, which leads to breakage. You have some nice stuff there, it's a shame to hear something arrived broken. Be known as the seller who over packages, not as the one who has stuff arrive broken. Yes, I have been accused of packing TOO well. Better than stuff arriving broken!

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Hello, No the client didn't ask for a refund. I paid her $10 so she could buy some glue to fix it

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply