Potential buyer is upset with me

I have a very heavy item for sale(a tool box for a ute). In the ad which is my husband's ebay we put pick up only.

A potential buyer has asked if I will post this to them if they bid. I said Australia post wont accept it and that you will have to pick it up yourself or arrange own courier.

He then asked if I would deliver it to them,they offered to pay for my trouble to deliver. Item is on ebay for $10. The potential customer lives 3 hours away(269kms) and I got an email from him sounding disgruntled that I wont deliver and he said he will buy elsewhere.

My husband does not drive any more as he has been ill for 2 years.

What do you guys think?

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Potential buyer is upset with me

The buyer should accept that you are unable to post or deliver and move on.  Just to be safe thought, I would add himk to your blocked bidder list just in case he persists and puts in a bid. 

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Thanks for that. I dont get it why certain ppl have to be agro on ebay for no reason esp when the ad says pick up only. Who has time to deliver to every buyer and we are not a business anyway,we are just clearing out parts accumulated over the years of wrecking in our back yard when hubby was well.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Partly your own fault I am afraid, you offer COD which means cash on delivery as a payment method. You may not have realised what it meant but if the buyer did they would have been within their rights to sit and wait for you to get it to them one way or another before they paid.

You should revise all your listings which don't have bids that show COD and remove it from the payment methods.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Dont worry ford, there are some strange people out there.

As suggested put him on BBL.

In case you don't know where it is.

Hover over account tab on summary page, select site preferences. Scroll to buyer requirements, then to the right, show and edit. Put any blocks you wish in place and add his ID to the block bidders list.

image host
Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Partly your own fault I am afraid, you offer COD which means cash on delivery as a payment method. You may not have realised what it meant but if the buyer did they would have been within their rights to sit and wait for you to get it to them one way or another before they paid.

You should revise all your listings which don't have bids that show COD and remove it from the payment methods.

Good spotting and ditto.

When you go to list an item and you see all the payment choices to accept, just take a moment to read each one and think whether you're prepared to accept it or not. Usually, just ticking PayPal and Bank Transfer is just fine for most things, with PayPal generally being the safest.

Even if you can't revise a listing in time to remove COD before someone bids, simply apologise.and offer an alternative payment method or ask if they can kindly retract the bid/cancel the sale. It's generally good to honor the original transaction but in a case like this, it's better to just say you're sorry and move on. At the end of the day, it was a simple mistake.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

lovetadojen
Community Member

first thing u need to do is block his bidding, immediately, so there is no way that he can bid last minute win the item and then give you a hard time while effectively holding feedback over you.

Some people have  a way of ignoring what they have been told b4 item ends, and thinking that they can start a whole new negotiation after they have won an item.

He sounds prime for it.

the bloke is trouble and a pain,and an unreasonable obtuse type  even b4 he's bought from you, whats he going to be like after he's bought an item?

so he actually wants to bully you into a ---269km-- delivery trip...if he likes long drives, let him pick up.

But it is obvious that even if he seems to agree to pickup, and does pickup, you have a disgruntled buyer on your hands b4 u have even done anything.

Block him, and ignore any more messages from him, hes been told and enough time wasted trying to reason with him. 

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

lovetadojen
Community Member

buyer "i will buy elsewhere"

you- Yes, thank-you, great minds alike, thats just what I was about to suggest.

Have a nice day (in American accent)

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Firstly,hope hubby is on the mend.That's more important than a sale.

Unfortunately,there are people out there who delight in making things difficult and you appear to have struck one of them. Your C.O.D reference was obviously an oversight,the item being so large so just vet existing and future listings. Make it quite clear to the person that you will NOT be delivering and block him.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply