Potentially fraudulent ebay buyer?

An ebayer has just "purchased" a bike I'm selling - auction and BIN option, for $1,100.
They purchased it a few hours after I listed the bike.
I've listed it with COD as I'd prefer this option, not prior payment through PayPal.

However, upon looking at this person's "buyer" feedback ratings (2), both sellers report that the person did not pay for the items (one over $1,000), even though there is a positive with their comments - as sellers can not now leave negative/neutral feedback for buyers, sadly.

Should I be concerned that this person is engaging in mischievous or potentially criminal activity?

Please advise me on what actions to take if this turns out to be dodgy.
I want to be able to relist the item ASAP.

Will I incur charges if this turns out to be a "false sale" and I re-list?

This ruins the ebay experience for genuine sellers and bidders.

Thank you for any advice.

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Potentially fraudulent ebay buyer?

Thanks for all of your replies.

I've only sold a few times on ebay, and with this big ticket item (for me), I'm a little nervous - you can read alot of BS and horror stories online.

So, I appreciate informative, helpful advice from the ebay community.

BTW, I clicked "accept as solution", but it's not resolved yet. Will post here when the issue/purchase is finalised.

Many thanks again from a newbie seller.

Message 11 of 23
Latest reply

There is nothing to resolve, they will either pay before a dispute is opened and closed or you will get your fvfs back and be able to second chance offer or re list, nobody will have been defrauded.

It doesn't matter what you say about pick up in the listing if you mistakenly offered COD as a payment method instead of pay on pick up then the buyer can refuse to pay until the bike is delivered to them!

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 12 of 23
Latest reply

Then if that's what it takes, we'll personally deliver it to them .

Thanks for your input, much appreciated  Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 23
Latest reply

@phorum_junkie* wrote:

There is nothing to resolve, they will either pay before a dispute is opened and closed or you will get your fvfs back and be able to second chance offer or re list, nobody will have been defrauded.

It doesn't matter what you say about pick up in the listing if you mistakenly offered COD as a payment method instead of pay on pick up then the buyer can refuse to pay until the bike is delivered to them!

selective ignorance (noun): the practice of selectively ignoring distracting, conflicting information to suit a purpose

So my guess is you want to advise buyers to ignore the local pick up no postage part of the postage advice of the OP's listing but have deemed that the COD part of the postage advice is ironclad and even though Australia post was not mentioned by the OP in their listing

....ie AP are the only ones that can accept the cash and deliver the item to the sellers stated delivery point which is the sellers

home address........

I prefer to understand that COD means cash on delivery for pick up at the sellers address and also understand that local pick up no postage means exactly that.....

Buyers ignore sellers terms at their own peril IMO

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 14 of 23
Latest reply

After quite a few back and forth texts with the buyer/customer, we decided to deliver the bike to him personally to ensure a satisfactory outcome for all.

Thank you once again everyone for your valued advice  Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 23
Latest reply

I am so glad for you that it worked out well.  I have been with eBay for a long term and have never had much trouble with fraudulent buyers until now.  I don't won't to scare you off with eBay with my story, because most private and professional sellers and buyers are wonderful and professional and helpful.

However, I believe my story is important to communicate to the community.

A buyer purchased an item from me.  I sent it exactly as described in a sealed Australia Post satchel to the provided address.  I only knew that something had gone wrong when I received an email from Paypal Resolution Centre advising that the buyer was making a claim for refund.  At that time, the buyer was telling Paypal that the item was "damaged" (i.e had rips and tears).  I emailed the buyer via both Paypal and Ebay to find out more information, but at no time through the claim resolution process would the buyer provide any information on why or how the item became damaged in the post.  This information is useful to me, because I can get often get compensation or explanation from Australia Post for tracked parcels.

In spite of lack of buyer's communication, I offered a full refund on return of item including offering to pay for return of parcel.  The buyer responded by leaving false negative feedback on my eBay account.

I contacted Paypal that I wanted the item returned from buyer to provide a refund.  THIS STEP IS IMPORTANT - PAYPAL WILL NOT ALWAYS INSIST ON ITEM RETURNED FOR REFUND UNLESS THE SELLER INSISTS.

The item was returned in a sealed tracked satchel.  I ASKED PAYPAL TO PROVIDE ME THE TRACKING NUMBER FROM THE BUYER. (The Buyer still not communciating directly with me.)  A WITNESS FILMED MY OPENING OF THE SEALED SATCHEL SHOWING THE TRACKED NUMBER FIRST.  Surprise, Surprise!  The item returned was not damaged, but it was a completely different item - not even the same brand, not even the same size.

I KNEW THEN THAT I WAS DEALING WITH A FRAUDULANT BUYER! I SENT THE RIGHT ITEM! This was first instance of this happening in my history with eBay.  I collected and provided evidence to PAYPAY on this buyer's "AMMO" and I won!

DID YOU KNOW THAT YOU CAN VIEW BUYER'S FEEDBACK?  SELLER'S CAN RESPOND TO THIS FEEDBACK, which gives valuable insight into buyer's behaviour and intentions.  BE WARY OF BUYERS who leave regular negative feedback and the seller responds with comments like "buyer impatient, I have already sent item" or "happy to refund if item returned" or "you received positive feedback when you sold item later on". 

SMART EBAYERS KNOW THERE IS ALWAYS TWO SIDES TO EVERY STORY.  My advice is always to communicate often in a professional and helpful way.  Only leave feedback that is constructive and helpful to other eBayers - not to vent your anger or disappointment.  DEROGATORY REMARKS can be removed by eBay - DON'T BE A BULLY! DON'T WASTE YOU OPPORTUNITY TO HAVE YOUR SAY IN A CONSTRUCTIVE WAY. Take up the option to reply to any feedback even if positive.

DID YOU KNOW THAT YOU CAN STOP BUYERS BUYING FROM YOU IF THEY LEAVE TOO MANY NEGATIVE FEEDBACK REGULARLY?

My recent experience has taught me that there are shoplifters using the Paypal Buyer Protection Process to get your items for free. INSIST ON THEM DESCRIBING WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE ITEM AND RETURNING ITEM BEFORE MAKING REFUND.  NO GUARANTEE YOU WILL WIN EVERY TIME!  HOWEVER, BUYERS WHO MAKE TOO MANY BUYER PROTECTION CLAIMS THROUGH PAYPAL and are NOT FORTHCOMING IN THEIR INFORMATION, and ARE CHALLENGED BY THE BUYER with evidence are FLAGGED.  With enough evidence, PAYPAL CAN AND WILL INVESTIGATE potentially fraudulant buyers if you provide them the right information.

BEST OF LUCK all to Ebayers!

Cheers,

ELLEVUE

Message 16 of 23
Latest reply

Great to hear you have had a win on this one.

Sounds like you had enough evidence to convince PayPal that the buyer was acting fraudulently.

And they may be able to see history you cannot thru feedback.

Did you know that you can raise a report with The ACORN.

http://www.acorn.gov.au/

Since you appear to have sufficient evidence I would urge you to open a case with them and allow the federal police to investigate this one too. This amounts to attempted (since you have not lost anything) online fraud and should be reported. They may uncover an untold history on this buyer. During any investigation they might do they will be able to access any records PayPal might have too.

Even if nothing ever came out of it (ie no charges against the buyer) the simple fact that they have been reported and investigated might rattle their cage enough to halt their fraudulent behaviour thus protecting future sellers.

Message 17 of 23
Latest reply

Thank you for sharing your experience here. It is a valuable reminder that online business can sometimes be a minefield, where scoundrels abound and look for the easy take.

Very good advice for the community.

Message 18 of 23
Latest reply

@ellevue wrote:

I am so glad for you that it worked out well.  I have been with eBay for a long term and have never had much trouble with fraudulent buyers until now.  I don't won't to scare you off with eBay with my story, because most private and professional sellers and buyers are wonderful and professional and helpful.

However, I believe my story is important to communicate to the community.

A buyer purchased an item from me.  I sent it exactly as described in a sealed Australia Post satchel to the provided address.  I only knew that something had gone wrong when I received an email from Paypal Resolution Centre advising that the buyer was making a claim for refund.  At that time, the buyer was telling Paypal that the item was "damaged" (i.e had rips and tears).  I emailed the buyer via both Paypal and Ebay to find out more information, but at no time through the claim resolution process would the buyer provide any information on why or how the item became damaged in the post.  This information is useful to me, because I can get often get compensation or explanation from Australia Post for tracked parcels.

In spite of lack of buyer's communication, I offered a full refund on return of item including offering to pay for return of parcel.  The buyer responded by leaving false negative feedback on my eBay account.

I contacted Paypal that I wanted the item returned from buyer to provide a refund.  THIS STEP IS IMPORTANT - PAYPAL WILL NOT ALWAYS INSIST ON ITEM RETURNED FOR REFUND UNLESS THE SELLER INSISTS.

The item was returned in a sealed tracked satchel.  I ASKED PAYPAL TO PROVIDE ME THE TRACKING NUMBER FROM THE BUYER. (The Buyer still not communciating directly with me.)  A WITNESS FILMED MY OPENING OF THE SEALED SATCHEL SHOWING THE TRACKED NUMBER FIRST.  Surprise, Surprise!  The item returned was not damaged, but it was a completely different item - not even the same brand, not even the same size.

I KNEW THEN THAT I WAS DEALING WITH A FRAUDULANT BUYER! I SENT THE RIGHT ITEM! This was first instance of this happening in my history with eBay.  I collected and provided evidence to PAYPAY on this buyer's "AMMO" and I won!

DID YOU KNOW THAT YOU CAN VIEW BUYER'S FEEDBACK?  SELLER'S CAN RESPOND TO THIS FEEDBACK, which gives valuable insight into buyer's behaviour and intentions.  BE WARY OF BUYERS who leave regular negative feedback and the seller responds with comments like "buyer impatient, I have already sent item" or "happy to refund if item returned" or "you received positive feedback when you sold item later on". 

SMART EBAYERS KNOW THERE IS ALWAYS TWO SIDES TO EVERY STORY.  My advice is always to communicate often in a professional and helpful way.  Only leave feedback that is constructive and helpful to other eBayers - not to vent your anger or disappointment.  DEROGATORY REMARKS can be removed by eBay - DON'T BE A BULLY! DON'T WASTE YOU OPPORTUNITY TO HAVE YOUR SAY IN A CONSTRUCTIVE WAY. Take up the option to reply to any feedback even if positive.

DID YOU KNOW THAT YOU CAN STOP BUYERS BUYING FROM YOU IF THEY LEAVE TOO MANY NEGATIVE FEEDBACK REGULARLY?

My recent experience has taught me that there are shoplifters using the Paypal Buyer Protection Process to get your items for free. INSIST ON THEM DESCRIBING WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE ITEM AND RETURNING ITEM BEFORE MAKING REFUND.  NO GUARANTEE YOU WILL WIN EVERY TIME!  HOWEVER, BUYERS WHO MAKE TOO MANY BUYER PROTECTION CLAIMS THROUGH PAYPAL and are NOT FORTHCOMING IN THEIR INFORMATION, and ARE CHALLENGED BY THE BUYER with evidence are FLAGGED.  With enough evidence, PAYPAL CAN AND WILL INVESTIGATE potentially fraudulant buyers if you provide them the right information.

BEST OF LUCK all to Ebayers!

Cheers,

ELLEVUE

I doubt that the OP will be back after all this time to see your post....this thread is 2.5 years old....and very few members will see your post on such an old thread.

If you really feel the need to explain the dispute process in such detail you should start your own thread, but it really will be a waste of time as most sellers actually know how to handle a dispute before they start selling....they read the site map and other ebay information.

Message 19 of 23
Latest reply

I am the OP... notification of a new message came up in my email this morning, and even after 2.5 years, I still found valuable information in Ellevue's reply.
I thank her for taking the time to share her eBay experience.

Perhaps she should start a new thread, so that the community – especially new sellers – will benefit from her post, and any follow up comments from other eBayers  Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 23
Latest reply