Premium Service / Top Rated -- maximum hassle with minimum incentive, risky and damaging.

1. If you do a money-off promotion, you have to also do money-off your “free” postage fees too – you can only correct this by offering a smaller percentage discount – which in turn makes the sale “less interesting” for the public. For promotions, it’s better to forget about free postage.
  2. If a buyer makes multiple purchases and then demands a partial refund for the postage you save, that partial refund will be counted as a defect against your account. Again, it’s better to forget about free postage.
  3.  The express option is not available Australia-wide, Australia post admits that it can’t do express to 20% of Australian postcodes (remoter places with just one or two post deliveries a week). I don’t want to offer something that can’t be provided. 
  4. If you give a no-questions-asked 30 day refund, I will turn my business into a free fancy dress hire service.
  5. There is very limited incentive, the old “top rated seller” thing was highly visible, and very cool; the newer “seal”  (which only appears on the products and for which you seem to earn with blood sweat and tears) – doesn’t really mean that much to people I think, it simply tells people that you are offering extra services that they are probably not even interested in anyway. Also, being bumped up towards the top of a short list of similar items is really inconsequential to me (and to many sellers I think).
  6. Writing tracking numbers with every consignment is an extra workload and it’s something that at least 95% of buyers really don’t care about anyway. It's just work for the sake of work.  -- I understand that you have to do this to be "Top Rated" these days, but even if this is not the case, the other 5 reasons are solid enough I think.
Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Premium Service / Top Rated -- maximum hassle with minimum incentive, risky and damaging.

Personally, I don't give a hoot whether a seller has a premium badge applied to their listing. If they have the item I want and their feedback is OK, I'll buy it. I don't even notice the badge most of the time.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Re: Premium Service / Top Rated -- maximum hassle with minimum incentive, risky and damaging.

I'm thinking that the items you sell aren't that easy to access  for most people,so why would you feel pressured to jump through eBay's ever changing hoops in a niche market?

You got TRS to get the fee discount,got a lot of great feedback & the very few negs & neutrals don't look like very valid issues to worry someone from feeling safe to buy from you.

The tracking number update can be tedious,but may save a few emails from impatient people.I think it also gives added bonus with the star rating,can't remember right now(my idiot neighbour's screaming car alarm is annoying my brain).Automatic 5 star for something about postage,i think.

Looks like your doing a great job,so keep doing what works for you.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

There are ways to avoid having to add tracking numbers to sold listings.

EBay's label system does it automatically. Click & Send used to, but I'm not sure if that's the case these days.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

@medieval_shoppe wrote:
Writing tracking numbers with every consignment is an extra workload and it’s something that at least 95% of buyers really don’t care about anyway. It's just work for the sake of work.  -- I understand that you have to do this to be "Top Rated" these days, but even if this is not the case, the other 5 reasons are solid enough I think.

I agree with most, but I have to say, and this is actually a general plea to all sellers out there, most particularly if they are using couriers, please (please) give your buyers the tracking number. 

I recently had a huge hassle with a courier company that took a week to sort out - no beef with the seller, really, they posted quickly and all that, but they didn't mark as posted til later and didn't supply the number and as a consequence, I wasn't expecting delivery when it was attempted so missed it. I then had to rearrange delivery 3 times and was stuck at home all day on a Friday, Monday and Tuesday waiting for the company to deliver when they said they would. 

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

eBay have a habit of rolling out programs, features and ideas that just aren't suited to our local environment.

Postage would have to be the classic example.

If you're a UK or Chinese seller then it's not a problem but for anyone having to deal with AP it's quite different.

With constant postage rises and the multiplicity of postage types a seller absolutely needs to keep post separate.

Repricing would be a nightmare otherwise.

I have 5 common postage types with 9 pricing variations so should I muddy it all up by inclusion of post in product prices?

I think not.

As for FVF discounts for TRS status I've yet to see any (does it even apply in the Aus marketplace?).

I list in media categories so maybe it doesn't apply to me.

I know thw Yanks and Poms go on about their 20% and I'd love to get a piece but I somehow doubt the likelihood.

Does anyone get it one the au site?

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply