Problem with sending an offer to a buyer

I'm trying to dsend an offer to someone who is watching my item, but the site will not let me proceed.

I get the "Amount must be at least 5% less than your Buy It Now price" warning, even though the price I have entered is much lower than 5% off.

Any thoughs or solutions to this problem?

...and yes, I have tried entering it as 1699, 1,699, 1699.00 & 1,699.00

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Problem with sending an offer to a buyer

This is still a fairly new feature, so I'm guessing a lot of the kinks haven't been ironed out, yet. I'm also not 100% sure if the feature has been fully or properly rolled out in Australia. It's possible that there is a minimum number of watchers required on a listing, too, as apparently the message buyers receive advise them that the offer has been made available to others (eBay using FOMO to tempt buyers even more - source: https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2018/8/1535312833.html).

I have added the item in your image to my watch list - obviously I have no actual interest in purchasing it, but if it is a watcher-count issue, maybe it'll actually help the feature to work.

This thread on eBay.com clarifies a few things about the feature, it does say that it will work with only one watcher, but it also lists a couple of other requirements:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Send-a-watcher-an-offer-Clarification/m-p/28891787/highlight/t...

Edited to add: buyers can also opt out of receiving offers, by the way, I haven't explored if I have that option in my account settings, and presumably it should show a more appropriate error message if the buyer has elected not to receive offers, but if the buyer is in a location where this feature isn't available or something (and therefore can't opt out), that might also cause some weird errors. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Watchers are anonymous. I don't believe you can send anything to a watcher, offers or messages, unless they send you a message. Then you can make an offer in your reply.

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

This is still a fairly new feature, so I'm guessing a lot of the kinks haven't been ironed out, yet. I'm also not 100% sure if the feature has been fully or properly rolled out in Australia. It's possible that there is a minimum number of watchers required on a listing, too, as apparently the message buyers receive advise them that the offer has been made available to others (eBay using FOMO to tempt buyers even more - source: https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2018/8/1535312833.html).

I have added the item in your image to my watch list - obviously I have no actual interest in purchasing it, but if it is a watcher-count issue, maybe it'll actually help the feature to work.

This thread on eBay.com clarifies a few things about the feature, it does say that it will work with only one watcher, but it also lists a couple of other requirements:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Send-a-watcher-an-offer-Clarification/m-p/28891787/highlight/t...

Edited to add: buyers can also opt out of receiving offers, by the way, I haven't explored if I have that option in my account settings, and presumably it should show a more appropriate error message if the buyer has elected not to receive offers, but if the buyer is in a location where this feature isn't available or something (and therefore can't opt out), that might also cause some weird errors. 

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

Thanks, having the extra watcher seemed to work. Smiley LOL

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

Indeed it did 🙂

Just in case you don't get to preview what the buyer receives and are curious:

offer.PNG

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

There's also a 10% coupon attached to that item now, bringing it down to $1709

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

do you know what sort of notification that the seller receives?  Becasue I thought I'd try this feature out last month & I don't know whether it worked or not.  I had no notification one way or the other.  There were three watchers & i don't know whether it went to one or all of them

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

Sorry, no - I've never sent one, and the offer in the screenshot above is the only one I've ever received as a buyer. 

They might appear under "your offers", though. That's the only place I can find the offers I sent through eBay messages (the one where you can just hit "reply with offer" when a buyer sends you a message, which I've used to provide bulk quantity discounts a few times - I don't get any notifications for those, and from memory it was a little difficult to find where I can view them, but they are there somewhere, so these promo ones might be there too. Sorry if it's a bit vague). 

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

thanks. No I can't see anything there. And if I could that would mean I would know who the Watchers were. And perhaps Ebay doesn't want that to happen.
Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

@jane-de-cluttering wrote:
And if I could that would mean I would know who the Watchers were. And perhaps Ebay doesn't want that to happen.

Possibly, but they don't necessarily have to display IDs for these type of offers, they could also disguise them like the do in bidding histories and feedback. Though it's a bit of a moot point though, if they don't give you anywhere to check on them at all, anyway. Maybe because there's just a time limit and no accept or decline (or counter offer function) on these ones, ebay figured a seller didn't need to check on the status 

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply