Problems with Fastway Couriers

barnett.australia.collection
Community Member
Delivery of items bought under the eBay banner is a vital part of the eBay experience for both buyer and seller – yet remains mostly out of the control of either. Is anyone else having problems with Fastway Couriers, or any other couriers? We have recently had a refusal to deliver to the designated address and the parcel was posted by the Fastway local agent only to end up at the post office who also refused to deliver requiring the receiver to go the PO, sign for the parcel and pick it up themselves. All this despite delivery being paid door to door.
Message 1 of 323
Latest reply
322 REPLIES 322

Re: Problems with Fastway Couriers

It is also a matter of the eBay seller stating (which didn't happen in this case) that they do not deliver to PO Boxes, because their courier refuses to do so. Some have it in easy-to-find print clearly visible in their listing, some have it in a less obvious manner in the postage details (which you have to click on to find), while others merely let the eBay checkout process inform you of the fact (if they have actually bothered to set it up that way. Many wait until they have received your payment and then say "Oh, we can't do that". That is not a good way to treat a customer. I, for one, do not purchase again from sellers who treat buyers in such a way. If they want my business, then they should be able to offer delivery to ANY address. After all, they are (supposed to be) providing a service to the customer. I don't mind Australia Post at all. Plus, I have a PO Box for security (various issues with the letter box at the home address - too long to go into here).

If an eBay seller chooses to use a delivery system which does not deliver to a PO Box, then they should say so up-front and make it easy to find.

Anyhow, the major issue in this case is why it is now well over a week since it was marked as sent and it still hasn't arrived - the distance involved is about 20km. Other, more customer-conscious, courier companies I have dealt with in the past have notified the sender basically straight away if there is a problem related to refusing to deliver to the address I choose, the sender has contacted me and we have agreed upon another method of delivery, usually within a day or two. Problem solved, minimal wastage of time.

Message 221 of 323
Latest reply

It is not up to the seller to tell you where a courier can deliver.   You should know the limitations of your PO box deliveries.

If the seller has stated that they do not deliver to PO boxes then you should know you will not get your item.

The couriers do not decide whetther they will deliver to PO boxes....that is an Australia Post directive....Post Offices cannot accept parcels from any courier other than StarTrack.

Message 222 of 323
Latest reply

@stevej5436 wrote:

Anyhow, the major issue in this case is why it is now well over a week since it was marked as sent and it still hasn't arrived - the distance involved is about 20km. Other, more customer-conscious, courier companies I have dealt with in the past have notified the sender basically straight away if there is a problem related to refusing to deliver to the address I choose, the sender has contacted me and we have agreed upon another method of delivery, usually within a day or two. Problem solved, minimal wastage of time.

About a year or so ago, I bought from a seller who had "Australia Post Parcel" listed as the postage method, so I checked out and supplied my PO box address.

24 hours later, it's marked as shipped with a Fastway courier number. I was actually really annoyed by this, because unlike other delivery limitations, couriers not delivering to PO boxes should be common knowledge to a seller using couriers, and yet they sent it anyway. (

I went back to the listing to double-check I read the shipping method correctly, and it still said Aus Post Parcel, but they had a tabbed box in the description, so I clicked to open the "shipping tab" and they detailed there that they used couriers to post, and couldn't send to PO boxes (further indication the seller was well aware a PO box wouldn't result in successful delivery). Despite the info being there in the listing, I was even more annoyed because they didn't select courier services as the postage method, and you had to go hunting for the "real" postage information. 

Despite that, the second I knew they were using couriers, I checked the Fastway website to see if I could get the package redirected, when there was no way for me to do that myself, I contacted the seller, explained the situation, and asked what could be done, and they arranged for the package to go to my home address.

If you know that a delivery is going to be problematic, I would advise not taking a passive "wait and see" approach, no matter how much you think it shouldn't be your responsibility.

Now, as a seller who has a PO box, and sends to them no problems, I have to disagree with this statement:  If they want my business, then they should be able to offer delivery to ANY address. After all, they are (supposed to be) providing a service to the customer.

The operative word is "If", I suppose - all businesses have not only the right, but in some cases the responsibility, of making decisions that is best for them, and usually they are the ones that best serve the majority of their customers. They have no obligation to cater to all people in all circumstances. 

As stated, I do send to PO boxes, but refuse to send to Parcel Locker / Collect addresses (highly problematic for me, despite them being Aus Post services and using Aus Post for my mail). This TOS is the first thing people should see when they look at my description. I charge around $3 for postage, because the shipping method (and cost of it), suits 99% of my customers. I'm not taking $3 for postage and then shipping to a parcel locker at a cost of $8.30 just because some buyer thinks I should, and despite the fact that I outlined such addresses can't be posted to as one of my terms of sale. 

Message 223 of 323
Latest reply

The seller did not state that he does not deliver to PO boxes. The delivery method said "Express Postage". Well, it certainly hasn't been express - it's a week overdue. As for postage - who knows where it is at the moment?

Regarding PO box limitations and Australia Post directives: up until now, I've never heard anybody mention it, either verbally or in print.

Basically, I'm annoyed about two aspects:

1) the eBay seller made a decision which has affected me without my knowledge or consent;

and

2) the delivery has still not happened - how long does it take to deliver something about 20km within the same city?

Message 224 of 323
Latest reply

@stevej5436 wrote:

The seller did not state that he does not deliver to PO boxes. The delivery method said "Express Postage".

eBay list Fastway couriers automatically as an "express service" despite the fact that their delivery time is up to 4 time longer than the average.

They display Fastway (and other couriers) merely as "express postage" and you have to click on 'see details' to view the company providing the postage service - as per my screenshots below.

express services.jpg

details.PNG

Message 225 of 323
Latest reply

Oh, well! I suppose I'll just have to accept that Express does not mean Express. I certainly hope that Delivery does actually mean Delivery.

Message 226 of 323
Latest reply

You're missing the point.

The seller doesn't choose for Fastway to display as "express".

And now you know that A) couriers can't deliver to PO boxes, and B) when you see "express postage" on a listing, you need to click on "see details" to make sure the seller isn't using a courier, meaning it's now 100% within your power to take a couple of seconds and avoid all potential of this ever happening again.

I'm curious how the seller has responded when you contacted them about this issue? 

Message 227 of 323
Latest reply

And you're missing my point that Express should mean at least reasonably quick delivery, irrespective of who decides that the term is appropriate for the service offered. In this case it appears to be someone at eBay who has made that call. And I did take a lot more than a couple of seconds to ascertain the method of delivery.

Also, I have actually had a courier deliver to a Post Office box when requested - they just wanted the street address of the Post Office agency (maybe that courier ompany was uncommonly accommodating). There was someone there to sign for it, of course, and the delivery probably took less of the courier's times than one of their normal deliveries.

I have contacted the seller. He has given a "hurry up" message to whoever is delivering the parcel - whether it is Fastway Couriers or Australia Post I will have to wait to find out.

I'm happy to leave this discussion here.

Message 228 of 323
Latest reply

@stevej5436 wrote:

And you're missing my point that Express should mean at least reasonably quick delivery,

Of course it should, I'm not disputing the actual definition of "express" - I posted the information so you could see that the seller has no choice about how eBay displays Fastway as a shipping service, and they (obviously) have no direct or real say (or involvement) in how long Fastway take to deliver something. So, there is clearly a disconnect between reality and what "should" be - I figured highlighting reality would be of benefit, for any future transactions where it may affect a purchase decision. 

Message 229 of 323
Latest reply

roosview
Community Member

I am now at the stage I will not buy from ANY seller using Fast Way they totally useless and don't care in anyway, they take the money to deliver a parcel, but don't deliver it to the address, I wish I had a business that allow me to take money for a service then NOT deliver.

Message 230 of 323
Latest reply