Question about insertion fee and promotional offer?

pko_pec
Community Member

Hello ebay community.

I have a question about insertion fees. I initially asked it in the US ebay community without realizing:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Question-about-insertion-fee-need-clarification-from-the-ebay/...

Basically:

I just tried to see what would happen if I listed another item (list 41) and for my first 40 listings (as my first 40 are free), I always noticed on the right hand column it say:

Listing fees
Insertion fees:
Free
Total:Free

However, even for the 41st item I was about to list, it still has the above setup (i.e. free insertion). Is there a reason for this? I notice on my ebay main page that there appears to be a promotion at the bottom that I never noticed before that seems to suggest I have 10 free more listings? Is that so say that for this month I can put 10 more ads and I won't get charged an insertion fee?

What happens if none of my items sell (i.e. I use the free insertion fee for this month and put 10 extra ads to bring my total ads listed to 50), will I then be charged an insertion fee in July for the 10 items that are free for this month?

"
Free Fixed Price & Auction Listings
List Fixed Price or Auction for FREE every month. Learn More - opens in a new window or tab
Available at ebay.com.au
Start Date: 01/06/17 00:00:00 AEST
End Date: 01/07/17 00:00:00 AEST
Used:30
Left:10

Thanks again for your help.

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Question about insertion fee and promotional offer?

To clarify - 

Aus site - 40 free listings

USA site - 50 free listings

But there have been a few glitches on the Aus site and members have mentioned they have received extra freebies.

At the bottom of all selling is the promo offers where you can see how many you have left.

image host

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

To clarify - 

Aus site - 40 free listings

USA site - 50 free listings

But there have been a few glitches on the Aus site and members have mentioned they have received extra freebies.

At the bottom of all selling is the promo offers where you can see how many you have left.

image host
Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

As mentioned, AU = 40 freebies, US = 50 freebies. Check to make sure you are on the .au site. You can tell by .au being in the address bar or up the top it will say G'Day <your name>. If you're on the US site, you just need to add .au in the address bar and hit enter.

If you are back on the .au site and you think you've listed 40 but it's not showing as that, leave it a day or so and check again. A few times I've listed a few things and it didn't appear to come off my 40, but the next day it had. It might just be a bit slow catching up.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

"A few times I've listed a few things and it didn't appear to come off my 40, but the next day it had. It might just be a bit slow catching up."

How come your Ebay name has no listings showing and you seem to have zero FB?
Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

How come your Ebay name has no listings showing and you seem to have zero FB?

tippy has been around for a long time.

Many members have an ID for buying, one for selling and one for posting on the boards.

Some also have 2-8 selling accounts or even post here with different ID's.

image host
Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

Hey tippy toes and kopenhagen5. Thank you for the information.

I noticed an interesting thing this morning in fact and what you said about giving it a few days made sense! I noticed this morning that in the promotion section, it now says that I have used 33 free listing slots and have 7 left, when yesterday I had used 30 free listing slots and had 10 left! It appears to be the case because I have put all my items as "list till cancelled" or "list till sold" and so when my listings from the previous month expire and renew themselves, they take up the slots! 

Thanks again everyone for all your help and information.

pko_pec

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

If you are eligible for the "Automatically relist 3 times for free" option you can list a lot more over the course of 3-4 months by using the 30-day Buy It Now option.

Good 'til Cancelled lists an item for exactly one month and then renews it, taking a free listing every time (or charging an insertion fee if there are no free listings left). When a Buy It Now runs out, it should automatically relist itself without using up another listing as long as you are eligible for the automatic relists. I never pay insertion fees but I always have around 100 items listed at any time.

List 40 items in one month, then wait until the 1st of next month (make sure eBay itself has updated so that it says you have used 0/40 listings and not 40 with 0 left!)
List 40 more in the second month (the unsold remains of the previous 40 should all relist once and you will have up to 80 listings active)
List 40 again in the third month (first 40 have relisted twice, second 40 have relisted once, up to 120 listings active)
List 40 in the fourth month (first 40 are on their last trip, second 40 have relisted twice, third 40 have relisted once, up to 160 listings active)
Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

I agree with the suggestion of 30 day buy it now with 3 free auto relists, rather than good till cancelled for non stores, That's what I do. It means a listing runs for 4 months rather than one, using only 1 freebie in that time instead of 4.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

I am puzzled and a bit wary of all these promotional offers.

It is encouaging sellers to list-list -list!. Free on Sundays-pay only $1 success fee.

But what happens down the track a bit?

Similarly-at the moment is another offer which is running over the Easter weekend-ending 3rd April at 11:59

Free listing all you like and no success fees.BUT-my interpretation of the wording leads me to suspect that the listed items MUST be sold before the offer ends-after any sale will cost the SF.

The wordings are always not quite straight forward.

No doubt we will hear more about this as time passes.

Complicated jargon.I like KISS myself.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

The fee free promotion listings last for as long as the listing is active on its first insertion. What I mean by that is, if I list a packet of chips today as a 7 day auction, if it doesn't sell and relists, the promotion no longer applies to the relist, so when it sells I'll be charged a FVF.

If I list the same packet of chips as a 30 day BIN, and it sells after 29 days, the promotion still applies, even though it has ended. If it doesn't sell and relists, the promo no longer applies and I'll be charged a FVF when it sells.

The promotion dates mean you have to have eligible items listed during those dates. They don't have to sell during those dates. Anything listed outside those dates don't qualify.

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply