REDUCE MY FEES

bmr4x4
Community Member

How can I reduce my ebay selling fees. They are currently 9.5% of my sale. with Paypal another 3.5% thats 13% I am losing on every sale!! Is there anyway of reducing the final value fee? 

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: REDUCE MY FEES

Most will definitely use Paypal when a seller stresses they prefer not to be paid with it.

After all, the buyer doesn't pay the fees and goods and money have been known to disappear with bank deposit.

And eBay's fees on postage are legal. This was all thrashed out last year when they introduced it.

Message 11 of 16
Latest reply

Even at 13% the fees represent very good value for money.
No where else can you get such low cost of sales!
If you run your own web site and use Google Adwords to generate business it will cost you heaps more like up to 30%
If I could have a few hundred thousand in extra sales at 13% I would take it every day.
Our eBay fees run at 6.4% and Paypal at 1.6% but this is a product of volume.

You cant expect eBay or anyone else to give thier sales platform for free.
Being in business large or small incurs costs which need to be built in to your pricing structure

Message 12 of 16
Latest reply

I don't believe anybody is stupid enough to suggest that eBay should be providing the service that they do for nothing, but having said that, I'd very much appreciate it if eBay would leave their sellers to their own devices instead of trying to run everybody's businesses they way they'd like to see them run. Their constant interference is becoming tedious and in many cases is costing sellers money. Sure, provide the venue and we'll gladly pay a fair price for it, but keep your grubby paws out of our businesses and allow us to run them the way we see fit. In other words eBay, butt out! Smiley Mad
Message 13 of 16
Latest reply

@warehouse-clearance-sale wrote:

If you run your own web site and use Google Adwords to generate business it will cost you heaps more like up to 30%
If I could have a few hundred thousand in extra sales at 13% I would take it every day.

Being in business large or small incurs costs which need to be built in to your pricing structure

How does one achieve 6.4% in fees for each transaction? I understand how you got the 1.6% for Paypal.

Message 14 of 16
Latest reply

Message 15 of 16
Latest reply

@warehouse-clearance-sale wrote:

Value for money is a bit relative. I've heard some people say a McDonald's burger is good value for money just because it's cheaper than a gourmet burger at a fine dining restaurant, but cheaper doesn't necessarily truly mean better value. 

And, 13% is probably on the lower scale of average cut for many sellers, particularly those who are not operating businesses at all, let alone high volume ones, and those whose items incur a postage cost that makes up a significant portion of the total sale price. (Case in point, someone selling $100 items with $5 postage incurred a minimal fee rise when FVF was introduced on postage. Someone else selling $20 items with $20 postage suddenly had their fees doubled on much lower-value items). 

No one expects eBay to provide their services for free, but for what the majority of sellers here get, there's no way I would call eBay good value. (I'm an average seller, with a store, my fees are acceptable and I don't begrudge them....too much, but I can most certainly understand why many others do, especially when a lot of them have nearly tripled in the last couple of years). 

Message 16 of 16
Latest reply