Re ebay wanting a 30 day return policy for items to upgrade to power seller

Hello I am a private seller and a small seller and so far i sell a few items and i have good feedback as i really try hard to provide an excellent service as i would like to grow.

However I have read the ebay "requirements" for becoming a top seller and it states that a 30 day return must be given.

I sell fabric in small pieces, what can i do?   will someone return to me a fat quarter that they forgot about and left out in the rain and expect me to refund?

I really will refund, and in fact i am happy to if my client is not happy. But 30 days!!! is too much for my product. 

Does anyone else have this problem. It seems to me that ebay is making a coverall statement and not considerind how people like me will manage sales. I am selling fabric not phones or engines.  A blanket approach will not work for me.

Any thoughts appreciated. Cheers.  Have a great weekend.

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

I think that's only for TRS PLUS (or whatever the new jargon is for it), not just TRS

but yes, many will and are being excluded from availing themselves to that status, unless of course your item is brand new and shrinkwrapped etc

imagine the returns for the book sellers - customer buys a book, reads it and returns it within the 30 days......

same for those who sell clothes, customer buys item, wears it then returns it after their night out

even harder for those that sell second hand stuff I would imagine

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

Powerseller and Top Rated Seller are determined mainly by sales volume and value. From sometime this month the requirements will be 100 sales and $US1,000 per annum. Plus stuff on DSRs.

I will be one then.

However - the TRS+ (or eBay Premium Seller) is item specific. If you don't offer all the things eBay consider desirable then that particular listing will not get the logo.

I sell used books. None of my books will ever get TRS+ because I will never offer a 30 day return. I am not a library. But I don't expect that to make a real difference to my sales, as I don't qualify as PS or TRS now. Due to sales value only, but nevertheless....

Unless you qualify for PS and TRS, it is academic anyway. And if this is your selling ID and going by what you said about your selling, you will not have to worry about it for a fair while.

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

Hello I am a private seller and a small seller and so far i sell a few items and i have good feedback as i really try hard to provide an excellent service as i would like to grow.

However I have read the ebay "requirements" for becoming a top seller and it states that a 30 day return must be given.

I am a buyer and can I just say, I am not all that fussed if someone is a top seller or not.

in fact, quite often i prefer to buy from smaller volume sellers.

I do look at feedback numbers and % but really and truly, if you've got good feedback, you are from Australia, you answer enquiries fairly promptly, you would get my business. For sure.

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

You can offer a 30 day return with conditions attached - to go towards getting  the TRS plus on your listings.

You do not have to offer a no questions, money back return. 

For example - my conditions on this ID is that the item is not as described - the same as they always were I have just extended the period to 30 days. All of my listings (save a couple I missed changing to 30 days) meet the 30 day return requirement.

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

I really appreciate the advice and assistance thank you

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

We sell quite a bit of stuff, and refuse to have a 30 day return policy.  We have 7 days and that is adequate.  We will eventually lose our TRS thingy, but I don't care.  I think having 30 days will open the floodgates up too much for people that mis-use things and then try to point the finger at you for providing something faulty.

People will still buy from you, even if you're not a TRS

It's just a status symbol.  AT the end of the day people buy on price, and your feedback.  Personally, when I buy from other people off ebay I don;t give two hoots whether they have a TRS symbol or not

Sure it may move you further up in the queue, but you also have to think about the type of stuff you sell - it doesn;t always suit to have a 30 day return policy

Just keep doing what you're doing !

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

Its not about status, or if buyers don't check your FB, it about where your items are in searches.  Ebay states that TRS+ (Premium or what ever they are calling it this week) will get increased ranking.  Now half the regulars here will ranking don't matter, well if you sell one off goods or items that only have low numbers on ebay that's probably true but if you sell items that are essentially a commodity ie bought on price your item ranking is extremely important and if your items are on page 2 your sales will drop dramatically.  So if you're lucky and ranking is unimportant to you, no need to read any further.

In terms of Express Post while you have to offer it, it doesn't have to be free.  Put regular post as free and Express at a considerably higher price (and before I am called a Post pirate I can post regular mail in my street letter box around the corner Express I need to go to the Post Office 5 Km away and wait in a queue which increases the handling cost. for Express)  99% will take the free regular and those who want Express, pay for your inconvenience.  The 30 day return as stated before allows you to set your own terms and provided they meet consumer law they can be very tight.  ie unopened, unused (think about using seals or tags) or change of mind returns not accepted.  The 30 day return is different to if the goods are faulty, broken etc where even now consumers can return them outside of 7 days.

---------------------------------------------------
Profanity is no substitute for wit.
Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

The ranking eBay is talking about is 'best' match. TRS+ will make no differences to the common (anecdotally, at least) searches of 'Price + Postage - lowest' or 'Ending soonest'.

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

What happens in the case of a buyer (me) who purchases an appliance that shows a fault within two weeks of purchase, seller offers to REPLACE the item, but buyer sends it back, at cost to them, then seller says they'll send the item for REPAIR instead? This issue for me has dragged on since early November and now the seller tells me he won't refund after that long, when it was his mis-information that dragged this out!

What does a buyer do in this case? I sure understand the problems a seller has too, but this issue has me stymied! I've said that if I get no favourable, or no, response by this afternoon, I'm lodging a dispute. What else can I do?

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply