Real eBay changes or phishing email?

I recently received an email from eBay stating that all Australian eBay accounts need to be updated so as to accomodate the new way sellers will be getting paid on eBay. I didn't respond and today I got this: 

Your account is now restricted.

Because you missed the deadline to update your account details, you can no longer revise or relist your existing listings, or create new listings. Update your account details now to continue selling.

You have now missed the deadline to update your account details, communicated to you in My eBay and several emails. We've disabled your ability to revise or relist existing listings, or create new listings. We want to get you back to selling as usual, with all the added benefits of the new payments experience. Please update your details today to continue selling. eBay will require all sellers to register for the new payments experience in 2021. 

Get started on updating your account details here.

Is this a real change or just a scam? 

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Real eBay changes or phishing email?

Why would they want information on your gov.id that's fishy - my understanding was that gov.id was online identity validation for government departments only. If eBay is using that - I too am gone!  

Message 11 of 20
Latest reply

Then you need to clear your listings, as the next time you come to these boards, you will be asking the question "Why has eBay suspended my account" and the reason will be because you ignored all requests to sigh up for MP.

Thousands upon thousands have signed up, provided the info and id as required by any financial institution and so far since around 2018, and the beginning of MP I have heard of no nefarious actions or hacks occuring.

But, ultimately the choice is yours.....

Message 12 of 20
Latest reply

Whilst this is apparantly 'real' am I the only person on here that is unhappy to put in my bank account number and bank account password onto a sight that can track information?

I rang the bank (commonwealth) about this today - and they were 'horrified' that I would even consider putting my bank account password anywhere other than via their official site....  ebay is pushing for this.

Message 13 of 20
Latest reply

No, you are not the only one. Many people are, as evinced by the many threads about this. And the many solutions/workarounds.

The choice is yours. If you want to keep selling, you comply. If you don't, you don't.

Simple.

I've been on MP for nearly four months and haven't had any issues.

Most people on MP haven't had issues. The board posts are almost entirely from those who haven't signed up, and thus have no real experience to make comments on.

Message 14 of 20
Latest reply

Hopefully it won't happen but I think it can, that one day there is a BIG news on TV that Ebay has been hacked and mil members' accs are in jeopardy, then Australian banks' hotlines will be hot.

Message 15 of 20
Latest reply

look it up on the internet.  There's a complete article after this question : Why is ebay distancing itself from Paypal and becoming their own checkout.

Take a chance,  and research it, you'll answer your own question.

Message 16 of 20
Latest reply

Every 'sight' - site - tracks information.

Open a new bank account with a minimum balance and use that for your ebay sales and fee payments. It's really easy.   You can go to a new bank for just that one account purpose.

Message 17 of 20
Latest reply

Oh for goodness sake, they may require a driver's licence or passport number to validate you are a real person not a robot, or a hacker or a phisher,  why not just take a chance and put it. Millions around the world have done it, this system was rolled out in Europe some years ago.

or use gumtree, instead, or facebook marketplace, people will love to ask can they come and see the item. There are some benefits to ebay. 

Compared with auction houses who charge 27.5% of the sale or more, it's not bad percentage for the platform they give you internationally.

Perhaps take a wider view?

Message 18 of 20
Latest reply

@spider_xo wrote:

Hopefully it won't happen but I think it can, that one day there is a BIG news on TV that Ebay has been hacked and mil members' accs are in jeopardy, then Australian banks' hotlines will be hot.

There is a far greater chance of people unknowingly having malwear/keyloggers on their computer or phone that will get that information and use it to hack ALL their information.

As said by niceandbright and many others, simply open a separate bank account that is used only for eBay, and the problem is solved.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 19 of 20
Latest reply

@niceandbright wrote:

Oh for goodness sake, they may require a driver's licence or passport number to validate you are a real person not a robot, or a hacker or a phisher,  why not just take a chance and put it. Millions around the world have done it, this system was rolled out in Europe some years ago.

members need to make informed decisions and not decisions based on โ€˜chanceโ€™.

niceandbright, please do not include the phrase โ€œtake a chanceโ€ in any advice offered on the boards.  You replied to a thread about a seller being offer $900 by an overseas member on a $365 camera with the โ€œtake a chanceโ€ advice.  This is really bad advice.  The seller could end up without the camera and postage paid to send it overseas AND fees on a $900 sale.  I donโ€™t think a reasonable person would think this is worth taking a chance.  It has all the hallmarks of a scam.

Selling on eBay should be โ€˜calculatedโ€™ and not left to โ€˜chanceโ€™.  

Message 20 of 20
Latest reply