Reasonable response times for buyers (from sellers)

Joined Feb 2010

Responds within 24 hours

What does your site say? Are you happy with this?
What might be the f/b implications?

Message 1 of 50
Latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

What if the seller has a job and cannot respond while at work?

Or what if the buyer is overseas and sends a message in the middle of the night?

Message 2 of 50
Latest reply

if the ebay seller is doing so full time then an hour is not unreasonable.

For a smaller, part-time ebayer this is clearly not realistic

Message 3 of 50
Latest reply

...easier for me, as I do not sell internationally....but what about those that do? Timezones would be a huge problem.....

Message 4 of 50
Latest reply

Not just timezones. Night owls and Larks! When I send a question at midnight I absolutely do not expect an immediate response.

Then again, I am one of those freaks who deeply resents society's expectations to be constantly glued to 'phone/email/everything constantly feeding it like a psychotic addict tiddlik Tamagotchi .

Message 5 of 50
Latest reply

It may feel creepy getting an instant response at 3 in the morning. 

Message 6 of 50
Latest reply

… especially if it’s preceded with “I’ve been waiting for your question…”

Message 7 of 50
Latest reply

Interesting mine says responds in 3 hours,  but I checked my competitor for the same items, and it doesnt show that line at all.   Can it maybe be turned on or off,  looking at other sellers it comes up.

Message 8 of 50
Latest reply

Lol, I often wait until morning before asking a question, sending an offer or even buying... just so they don't think I'm weird.

Message 9 of 50
Latest reply

One hour is absolutely ridiculous and I say that as a buyer.

I can't think of any business offhand where I would necessarily get a response within the hour.

You see the sort of nonsense from customers on marketplace occasionally, where they get angry if they haven't had a response within 5 or 10 minutes, but I didn't expect to see a big company like ebay jumping onboard with that.

Obviously, customers like a quick response.

But I think most are realistic enough to accept that it could well be several hours to a day before they get an answer. Most other companies I have had cause to contact this year have taken several hours to reply. (One took a week, which I thought was way too long.)

If I were still selling on ebay though, I would definitely try to have a 24 hour turn around or less for messages.

I know people work, I used to work full time when I was selling. But at the same time, most people can log on for a little while after work hours & quickly attend to business, if they need to.

As for whether the ebay messages about how long a seller 'usually' takes, and whether it could affect feedback. I guess it could, depending on the buyer. It wouldn't worry me if a seller with a 'usual' one hour took 3 or 4, but it could set up expectations with some, where they might judge a seller to be 'slow'.

It's about perceptions as if a seller had a 'usual' resonse time of 24 hours, then 3 or 4 hours would look fast.

Message 10 of 50
Latest reply