Reasonable time to expect low cost earrings to last?

Hi all, I'm needing some advice as I find the consumer law is too vague regarding how long someone can reasonably expect a product to last. It's way to subjective to me, and considering I'm neurologically wired differently to the average person, don't feel that I can rely on my own opinion!

Anyhoo, I sold a pair of handmade stud earrings (for $8), and the buyer was happy with the purchase and have been happily wearing them for 5 months. They have now broken (don't know why). Is it reasonable for the buyer to have expected them to last longer than 5 months?... or is it reasonable that given their low cost and months of use that they have broken? I guess I'm just after everyone's general opinions on what their expectations would be as the buyer in this situation. (Please don't get into topics such as providing good customer service, and maintaining good feedback, etc.. I want to keep my buyer happy, but I'm trying to work out what's "reasonable").

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Reasonable time to expect low cost earrings to last?

@digital*ghostwrote:

@helloglorywrote:

But I also don't like to disappoint... so I was thinking of offering to repair the earrings, just like you suggested. The buyer is located in the U.S. though, so I don't expect they will like to pay to send them back to me. They are currently asking for a replacement (which I can't do as I'm out of stock for that design and won't be getting more as I'm closing down my business!).

Perhaps consider saying something like "unfortunately, it's now outside the warranty timeframe for this product and they are now discontinued, so I'm unable to repair or replace the earrings, but as a gesture of goodwill I will be more than happy to provide you with an X% discount on a new purchase". 

Edited to add: if they are in the US, they would have been like $6 earrings... Smiley Wink

I'd do what DG suggested although perhaps only up to the word 'but'.Smiley Happy

The woman isn't after a repair, or certainly not at her expense with mailing it back. I'd bet my bottom dollar on that. No one in their right mind would want to pay 2 way international postage on a pair of earrings that only set them back $US6 in the first place.

What I suspect she wants is a complete freebie-either a new pair posted to her (at the seller's expense of course) or else a full refund. And she thinks with ebay, she has a good chance of getting it.

It was a business transaction so I personally would forget about offering repairs. On a more expensive item it might be worthwhile but not in this case. If you wanted to do something about it, the cheapest option would be a refund less postage, but after all these months, I don't think she should be entitled to that.

I'd probably empathise but offer no solution, no guarantee, no replacement, no refund.

Message 21 of 21
Latest reply