Receiving a money order payment

Hi everyone,

Just had a request for a payment to be made via money order. Haven't accepted a payment method like that before... mainly concerned about the protocol regarding a refund. If anyone has any advice, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks alot. 🙂

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Simple, let them send you a money order as payment.  If a problem arises that warrants refund then have them send back the item and include their return address so that you can refund them via money order (minus the cost for the money order as they are not free).

Best thing is that there will be no formal dispute resolution process if a problem arises as there is no buyer protection for money orders and they are not subject to chargeback.  You can convert the money order into cash at the Post Office.

Thanks LOTB, I'll most likely accept it. 🙂

Message 3 of 23
Latest reply

It is as good as cash but safer than cash for sending in the mail.

Message 4 of 23
Latest reply

Money orders cost around $8 now & JMO but I wouldn't be surprised if AP do away with them at some point.Its a very strange way to pay for an item on ebay & its a pain to cash it if you don't go to a PO on a regular basis.

Message 5 of 23
Latest reply

Send the buyer an IOU.

Tramps like us,
Baby we were born to run....

Bruce Springsteen
Message 6 of 23
Latest reply

We had a buyer recently who wanted to pay that way ... until we pointed out that it costs $8 pLUS the cost to post it ... and that while they were standing at the PO counter getting the M/O they could actually deposit the payment into our comm bank a/c.

Message 7 of 23
Latest reply

You can also bank direct into your own bank account. Can be a pain, as you then have to make a trip to bank or Credit Union yourself, and they now treat them like cheques, i.e. 3 working days to clear. I discussed this with my credit union and they claim that it is new legislation. They are a workable alternative to Paypal but clumsy I think.    

Message 8 of 23
Latest reply

Hi, a few months ago I had a buyer who wished to pay by money order, I agreed and he then sent me cash in an envelope.

We all smile in the same language.
Message 9 of 23
Latest reply

I don't care how they pay as long as they pay. I usually get at least one moneyorder or cash in an envelope a year.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 10 of 23
Latest reply