Refunding part of a sale

A buyer who has won the item I was selling and has paid already, has notified me to let me know they want to cancel the order before I actually got to post the item. I have agreed but advised that the postage/shipping fees would be retained from the refund. 

I'm not sure how to cancel the order and make the changes to the refund amount. 

When I go to authorize the cancelation, it tells me that it will automatically refund through Paypal the full amount. 

Will it then give me the chance to makes changes if I click ok?

Hope this makes sense and I appreciate any help. 

Cheers. 

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Refunding part of a sale

why are you keeping the shipping fees?
Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

If you haven't posted the item, you have no right to keep the shipping fees. Refund the buyer in full or you're just as likely to get a pretty red dot under your name. If you do a formal cancellation, you get all your fees back. 

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Wow....you sell an item for $25 with $10 postage but will only refund $25 because the buyer wants to cancel.

You make no mention of a restocking fee so I have a feeling the buyer may be rather annoyed.

You are wide open to receiving a negative feedback and I don't blame the buyer....a third of the total sale is a lot to withhold.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

I think it would be reportable by the buyer. All the buyer has to do is wait a bit and open an INR. Then the OP is forced to pay the full amount an loses the fees.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

it's entirely possible to do a partial refund - but out of principle, i won't explain it. it sounds like you're ripping off the buyer.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

I think most of the responders here have the same idea.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

@mickyberky wrote:

A buyer who has won the item I was selling and has paid already, has notified me to let me know they want to cancel the order before I actually got to post the item. I have agreed but advised that the postage/shipping fees would be retained from the refund. 

I'm not sure how to cancel the order and make the changes to the refund amount. 

When I go to authorize the cancelation, it tells me that it will automatically refund through Paypal the full amount. 

Will it then give me the chance to makes changes if I click ok?

Hope this makes sense and I appreciate any help. 

Cheers. 

Basically, you'd be far better off not accepting a cancellation than trying to take the postage money.

I understand your frustration because you may actually have wrapped the item ready to post. If so, leave it wrapped and you can just stick a big label & tape over the original address (or remove it) later if it resells.

But either don't accept the cancellation or else refund the whole amount.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

@lm-entertainment wrote:

it's entirely possible to do a partial refund - but out of principle, i won't explain it. it sounds like you're ripping off the buyer.

That's exactly why I didn't give instructions either. I'll bet we never hear from the OP again as he's been caught out trying to rip someone off and announcing it publicly. 

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply