Refunds/ cancel costs sellers

Recently I had a transaction where a buyer purchased item and then requested a cancel later that day. NO PROBLEM I thought as the item was not shipped or packed.  So hit Cancel and then REFUND through eBay tools.  On looking at the refund through PayPal I then noticed that the refund to buyer is 100% but the fees to me varied.  I contacted PayPal and they advised YES they still take a fee in the case of the refund and YES the seller pays this.

So effectively as a seller we pay for refunds !

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

ilce
Community Member

Yes. Paypal always keeps about 30 cents in a full refund which comes out of your balance.

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

Not good is it, but highlights why sellers need to be selling stuff with high profit margins, so they can afford to lose a bit here and there without losing sleep over it. Selling stuff with thin margins in highly competative fields is a pretty tough gig on ebay.

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

Its worse if u shipped it too.

As u lose the ebay fee and the shipping fee.....

Often depending on timeframe the ebay fee is not refunded.

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

It's worse than that.  As of 7 May, paypal keeps the entire seller's fee, not just the 30c

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

@louisas_lines wrote:

It's worse than that.  As of 7 May, paypal keeps the entire seller's fee, not just the 30c

They decided not to go ahead with that.  It's as it was before.  There was a specific thread about it, if I remember rightly.

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

No that's incorrect.  If you check Paypal's T&C's parts 16.8, 18.16 and 19.4, they are very clear about refunds.

https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/mpp/ua/cfsgpds-full?locale.x=en_AU#int_18_Fees_and_charges

I just checked two refunds I've done since 1 July and the fees have not been refunded.

It might be worth checking your account.

*edited to corrct one of the numbers

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

I just tried a refund for $2 and it said "amount refunded by seller $1.95, fees refunded by paypal 5c".  You obviously don't understand how refunds work.

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

PayPal still refund the fees, they only keep the 30c, for now.
Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

I'm not relying a "thread" of opinions from this group.

I can see in black and white about paypal fees and refunds from paypal itself.  Did you not read it?

Maybe you need to read your account balances properly.  Calculator??

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply