Regarding returns policies

y.susa1
Community Member

Hi Everyone,

I have been selling on ebay for a few months now and it just occured to me that I should really be offering a full proof returns policy on all my listings, as I am starting to encounter alot of people who will ask me for a refund for item not fitting, for a change of mind or they would purchase the item but not pay until a couple of day's later. 

As a result I have changed my settings to accept immediate payments only to prevent late payment situations from buyers and

added measurements of the garments in my listings in an attempt to deter customers who's intentions are.....to get items for free with the excuse of item does not fit. And of course I take as many relevant pictures as possible in high resolution and I ALWAYS take a close up of any faults on any of my garments as well as a medium close up shot so the customer can see where on the garment the fault is. 

So my next step is to get a solid returns policy going for all my items. One that is fair to everyone involved, simple and transparent.

But the question I have is, If I stipulate my own returns policies but a buyer wants to get a refund for an item would they be able to totally disregard my additional returns policies (on top of ebay's money back guarantee) and do the bare minimum requirement under ebay's money back guarantee? I mean would that be enough in ebay or paypals eye's to refund a customer?

I just want to make sure I am doing everything I can to be a good seller.

Thank you in advance for any guidance you can offer me.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

If you decide to accept return, your buyer must meet the terms you set out in order to be eligible for a refund. The most common condition for a change of mind return (aside from setting a time limit, eg 7, 14 or 30 days, who is responsible for return postage) is that the item is in the same condition as when sent. For clothing, that would mean things like all tags remain in place, and the item is unworn / unwashed, undamaged etc. 

A buyer will be able to send you a request for a return whether they are eligible to return the item or not, and if the reason they select is change of mind (eBay provide reasons such as doesn't fit, don't want it any more, found it cheaper elsewhere), you will need to accept or decline the request based on whether the buyer has met your terms.

A buyer will be able to select other reasons for a return, if they state that the item was not as described, and in those circumstances the conditions you set out for change of mind returns will not apply. You will then need to decide whether you will dispute the buyer's claim that the item is not as described (you will  then have to try and prove it is), or work out a resolution with the buyer - if you dispute the claim that an item is not as described, eBay will decide on the outcome, and if you lose, it will count as a case closed without seller resolution (of which you're allowed 2 or 0.3% before account restrictions can be applied). 

So, yes, in effect a buyer can try to disregard your return policy and claim an item is not as described instead, and it will be something of a risk to fight them on it. How often such instances will occur is, at this stage, anyone's guess. Buyers have technically been able to do virtually the same thing via PayPal for a while now, it's just that there is now more risk to the status of a selling account to fight against it, and eBay (unlike PayPal) will make the seller responsible for return postage costs (whether you fight the case or accept the return). 

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

A smart newby selling brain you have to be planning the refund/return policy.

All my thoughts on this are from reading the U.S boards since they are seeing the some of effects & problems of this before we are.Still some conflicting information & eBay not following their own policy/rules consistently,so it is still not all clear to me yet.

I've already gone on about my ideas on returning for any reason including change of mind.

I think it's best to check out the refund options & how to best protect yourself & what works best for you.

I'm over eBay **bleep**e today & can't write a decent answer ATM.Maybe later after a booze break...

P.S about your listing measurements.Most clothes sellers do flat measurements between underarms (i can't make myself type armpit in a listing) I gather your listings are fully around the bust etc.JMO & do what you like it's your listing but perhaps indicate if around or flat to avoid any uncertainty.New policy is important to make everything clear.I got a msg more than once asking if  say,jeans waist measurement  of 43cm was around or flat.Well if you look at 43cm around a waist then you know why it's silly.True story though.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

I guess I have to be prepared to refund if a buyer just changes their mind which is fine.

But I will go and update my returns policy and instead of trying to make my own policies.

I was also thinking about doing a vlog on when I package my items to have on record and use that as proof, should any issues arise with bad buyers, but not sure how that will stand up as evidence if anything goes wrong 😕
Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Hi 2011.narelle,

You actually make a good point about specifying whether the garment was measured flat or round. I will specify this from now on.

I am sorry to hear that you have had enough with ebay at the time of writing this. To be perfectly honest, a couple of my sales this month had been bad buyers trying to get refund because item didn't fit (this was my fault. Should have specified measurement) so I refunded then buyer left me good feedback. Then another buyer cut up my jeans demanding a refund on the basis that it arrived faulty but when she sent me the photo of the jeans all cut up I refused. It's a wander why she didn't just send them back for a full refund.

Anyway, hope you feel better and if we all hate ebay, let's band together and make an ebay alternative 🙂

Have a good day.
Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Surely the best way to deal with returns is to have a restocking fee. Either a percentage or if allowed a set fee that will cover the original cost of sending out maybe eBay fees and cost of return post. Then one could offer a no blame return of anything
Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

The problem with charging a restocking fee for no fault returns is that it might encourage buyers even more to claim NAD so they don't have to pay it. I don't think you could enforce it if ebay gets involved in a NAD case but happy to be corrected.
Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Yes it would be great to know how to deal with all problems that are now present. I have stopped selling on eBay as I need my ability to buy for the collectables that I want. Once u am confident about how to deal with this new environment I may start a new i.d. with which to sell on only but I feel that I might be better off just moving on to the fairs that are currently held in the capital cities and using my ABN within a new business. Should be able to go to some cities I've never been to and claim it on my tax
Message 8 of 8
Latest reply