Removed Item

I sell fabric and have had an item removed by ebay with the following explanation: In your listing title, you stated "Price per metre." As per our Listing Policies, we encourage members not to include any statements/ phrases in any parts of the listing that will divert potential buyers to purchase items/ transact off eBay site. We have this guideline in order to prevent possible fraud We invite you to relist your item as soon as the necessary corrections have been made. Moreover, fees are credited accordingly and you can already see this reflected in your account balance.

Can someone explain how these words encourage members to purchase items off ebay? There are HUNDREDS of fabric listings using these words (and I have others). Why have they removed this one?  Does anyone have any ideas?

Also, what happened to 'Live Chat'?  Has that gone?

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Removed Item

How does the listing work? If the price per metre is, for example, $5 and the buyer wants 3 metres,can they select 3units and the sale total automatically comes up at $15?

Or does the buyer have to contact the seller and ask for 3 metres?
Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Removed Item

No, the sale total comes up automatically.  I altered the listing heading originally as people were contacting me asking if the price was the entire amount.  I thought it was pretty clear, but some people seem to struggle with the concept.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Removed Item

Can you reply directly to the message you received for more details?

There are links here as well to do that:

A breach of ebay policies

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/sell/questions/listing-ended.html
Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Removed Item

No, there appears to be no way of contacting other than email and I doubt I would get an answer that way. Do you know what happened to live chat?

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Removed Item

I know how frustrating it is when it's clear to anyone in possession of actual logic that you're not trying to generate off-eBay sales by telling people what you're selling on eBay.... I must say, this is one of the most 'out there' ones I've heard of (they did me for having 'custom orders welcome' in my listings, which I had there because I design and handcraft items with practically infinite possibilities, and had a long history, which eBay could have easily checked, of creating listings on eBay for people who requested a custom item). 

The sad thing is, it is virtually impossible to get eBay to see the error of their ways, they'e inexplicably (and selectively) paranoid about this particular policy, and once they've decided a certain word or phrase breaches this policy, there's pretty much no if's, but's or two ways about it. 😞

I'd personally recommend taking a slightly different tact to achieve the same thing. eg Rearrange the listing title somewhat: "1m Fabric", then simply explain in the listing that orders of two+ metres will be a continuous length (where applicable). I'd update the rest of your listings as soon as possible, because you can never tell if/when they'll hit you again, and too many policy breaches may result in account restrictions. 

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Removed Item

Thanks digital*ghost, yes you're right. In this case, they'll be busy tackling hundreds of listings in the fabric section, but I'll get on to it right away.
Message 7 of 7
Latest reply