Removing Unwanted Immediate Payment Required

This is in relation to "immediate payment required" appearing in the listing's payment section, despite the seller never selecting it as an option, as opposed to preventing eBay from forcing a buyer into immediate payment under other circumstances.

The stuff in the spoiler is for potential clarification / troubleshooting purposes, but I don't know how relevant it is or whether it contributed to the problem, just including it in case it helps someone figure out something with their own account  / settings.

Anyway, the main point is I had "immediate payment required" appearing on some of my listings, despite it not actually being selected in the payment options (I have bank deposit as a payment option, so it should be impossible), but I was able to remove it by editing the listing, actually ticking the box to require immediate payment (because at this point, the setting wasn't selected at all), submitting the listing, then revising it again, unticking immediate payment, re-ticking the appropriate boxes for bank deposit and submitting the listing again. (Note: ticking then immediately unticking immediate payment, then submitting did not work for me, sadly, it required two separate edits). 

I should be able to bulk edit the ones I find... but finding them is the tedious part since the option is not actually officially selected anywhere in my settings - hopefully if this is affecting other's listings, this method works for you as well.

Spoiler

I do not use business policies in my store - all my postage stuff is done manually, but I'm dreading having to bulk edit all the different listings in a few weeks so I thought I'd look at setting some up, and opted in earlier this evening. However, it wouldn't let me edit any of the policies and when I checked some of my listings to make sure they looked ok, I noticed "immediate payment required" was now showing on some - I do not know if this was appearing before or after opting into business policies, however I have never used immediate payment before at all, so there shouldn't have been any policies with it implemented (there was 10+ pages of individual policies though, going back to when I very first started selling and could charge less than $2 for a large letter Smiley Surprised ). 

I decided to opt back out, there was no change to the listings saying immediate payment required. I've only checked a relatively small amount so far, but it appears to be applied randomly on both old and new listings, which have various postage costs applied (which would have meant separate policies were created for them when I opted in to business policies). 

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

I just ran out of time to edit.... Smiley LOL

Ticking / unticking immediate payment, then submitting the changes, has now worked on one listing. 

Message 2 of 28
Latest reply

Am I right in thinking ebay has never foisted immediate payment on you, as in ALL your listings?

Bank deposit doesn't stop immediate payment (if you've been opted in) unless they select bank deposit in checkout. If someone uses the cart and goes to checkout they have to pay iimmediately if they don't select bank deposit.

I've taken bank deposit off (last week) because my last three sales with it have all been a hassle. The second one she paid into the wrong account and it bounced back, the last one bought and went through checkout separately for each of five items, which means I got charged fees on five lots of postage, yet she expected to get my capped postage which I clearly state they have to use the cart for.

I've only had three DD payments in over 2 years and one of them only used it because she wasn't familiar with immediate payment and wanted combined post; the second wanted to use DD; the third has bought from me before and used PP, so it's not like I'll lose many sales from not having DD.

I actually love immediate payment now that I've figured out my capped postage.  It's all done and dusted straight away.  If they don't follow my instructions and use the cart to get the capped postage, that's not my problem, it's theirs.

Message 3 of 28
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

I just ran out of time to edit.... Smiley LOL

Ticking / unticking immediate payment, then submitting the changes, has now worked on one listing. 

You do realise that just when you've sorted them all out, they'll change the system???  Smiley Indifferent

Message 4 of 28
Latest reply

@brerrabbit585 wrote:

Am I right in thinking ebay has never foisted immediate payment on you, as in ALL your listings?

Not as far as I am aware. 

I have the occasional mobile buyer purchasing multiple items and paying for them all separately because the app sucks, but otherwise I believe my items can be 'BIN'ed' without being paid for, which some buyers still do often enough (my postage discounts apply automatically either way, and NPBs are a virtual non-issue for me).

I'm sure things will be different again when their payment system comes in, but if I can stave off their interference for a bit, I will. I know the issue has annoyed others since I've seen it mentioned here before, so figured I'd post a solution that worked for my listings. 

Message 5 of 28
Latest reply

Update - this is a waste of time. The listings I edited last night to remove immediate payment required, have it back on them today. Smiley Frustrated

Message 6 of 28
Latest reply

have you had a 'chat' with ebay so that you get a transcript?
Message 7 of 28
Latest reply

I don't trust ebay CS to help with issues like this - they have access to listings, but (anecdotally) don't know what they're really doing. Sellers have had all of their listings ended by a CS rep "looking" at the issue affecting them, and this is after explicitly telling the rep not to do or change anything.  

Message 8 of 28
Latest reply

It's outrageous that eBay should simply, flatly, change the allowable settings on sellers' listings in this way. Not only does it result in your permitted T&Cs being overridden, but you've wasted time in seeing to it that those T&Cs were set up.

I suppose you will have to go the Have Us Call You route, and get the CS rep to send you an email summarising the main point of the conversation afterwards... although it's a moot point whether this will help.

Message 9 of 28
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

Update - this is a waste of time. The listings I edited last night to remove immediate payment required, have it back on them today. Smiley Frustrated

I was actually expecting you to come back and tell us this.  I thought there was a slim chance there might be a work-around but wasn't surprised when it didn't stick.

I feel sorry for those who don't want immediate payment but ebay did me a HUGE favour by forcing it on me.  I would never have sat down and done any sums for capped postage if they hadn't forced it on me, and I've saved a lot of time since.  I didn't get a lot of non-payers before but I got enough for them to be annoying.  I got a non-payer again this week but she used an e-cheque.  I suspect she doesn't pay for a lot of items because she's a very profilic buyer and in my experience a lot of e-cheques fail due to insufficient funds.  

Message 10 of 28
Latest reply