Return Request

Hi

I need some advice on a return request from a buyer if you can help me out. The buyer contacted me two/three weeks later after receiving the item saying that the item isnt new (or as up to her expectation). I asked her to take a few photos to show me about the defects she mentioned. Looking at those photos the i am sure those scratches arent there before i sent the item out. Could be because the buyer doesnt like it and would like to return it? I am just wondering if i refuse to refund is there anyway that ebay can protect me as a buyer or it is usually more favour to the buyer's side? This is a hear say incident and i do not know how to prove it and i do not want to argue with the buyer

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Return Request

If they open a formal ebay return request citing the reason as Item Not As Described (INAD) then you are not left with much of an option.

a.) Fully refund and the buyer gets to keep the item.

b.) Negotiate a partial refund with your buyer and they get to keep the item.

c.) Pay for return postage with full tracking if you want the item back. Then once you receive it back in its original condition then fully refund. This way you lose the cost of postage in both directions. And the buyer may not pack it as carefully as you did either.

If you choose option c.) then if you claim its not in original condition when it arrives back you will have to somehow prove this to ebay. I feel this will be extremely difficult to do as they usually side with the buyer in these things.

So unless the item is very valuable to you and would be worth getting back I think you are likely stuck with a.) or b.) above.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Return Request

I had a similar issue. I accepted a return, and they buyer sent back a completely different item, different size, different style, and well worn item. When I phoned eBay to tell them this, all they could say was something along the lines of "well we don't actually know that he returned a different item because we didn't see what you sent the buyer!" Hence to say, I lost my Hugo Boss item and the buyer got back $115 and the gift of near new HB Jeans from eBay on my behalf! As far as eBay was concerned, in their words, the buyer returned the item, confirmed by tracking!

so diespite what eBay policy states ie "the item must be returned in the exact condition it was received....." Is basically a crock of doggy doo! Once a Not as Described dispute has been raised you are pretty well stuffed no matter what you say to eBay!

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Return Request

if its the 3 sprouts lunch bag, the picture you used doesnt look like a seller taken photo of the actual item. when selling anything 'new' you need to take actual photos of the item from different angles. if there is ANY scratches or damage put it in the description.

unless you are a store selling new from a wearhouse i dont think using a generic photo is good enough. 

your buyer may have thought you were selling new as in you being a store that sells lots of these bags.

as you didnt use an actual photo in your listing we dont know the true condition of the bag.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Return Request

I treat these types of cases as Theft in store.

I get occasionally buyers telling me that the item is faulty or

not intended for its purpose or that its damaged etc.

Ebay doesn't really want to deal with these, they encourage you to

resolve it with the buyer.

I try to ask the buyer for full information as to what the problem is

and also some pictures... depending on the case, I either refund or replace 

in most cases as it sounds or looks genuine problem.

But ofcourse you get the occasional thief, who wants to not pay for

the item they received, instead of getting a neg feedback, it is sometimes worthwhile

to refund and treat it like this is a thieving customer and block buyer from buying

again.

I had one case a few years ago where this buyer said the product is not genuine when it infact

it was completely genuine and current new stock. What had happened was that manufacturer had

recently changed packaging and the buyer was used to old packaging... I did my best to

explain this, ($25.00 product), even said, look at competitor listings on ebay, they all have the same packaging

as me and this is what i sent you, it is the new packaging from manufacturer... BUT NO! buyer did not accept

it saying from their local Veterinary clinic, she recieved black colour packaging product 3 months ago, and that this is not

real item. I simply (on the phone) said, ok fine, If you want to keep the item for free and not want to call manufacturer 

to verify we are a supplier of these items, you will not be able to buy any other items from us.

she said fine.

So I blocked and when she needs to top up, she pays more for it either at vet or competitor online.

Sometimes these things you can not help.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Return Request

Do you have any photos of the actual item, or just the stock photo in the listing? If you only have the stock photo you're pretty stuffed because you can't prove it was ok before you sent it. All you can really do is refund and move on. If you think you can resell it get them to return it.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply