Return from USA

Hello, I am hoping someone can advise me here. A buyer purchased a dress, received it and has requested a refund because she said it was fake and fabric not as described. Odd since it was purchased from the brands staff sales and the VP of production has authenticated it. But I have to accept as negative feedback will jeopardise my business.

I have a no returns policy but EBay has overridden that.

My question is how do I create a return label? Does Aust Post do this and I copy the barcode to the buyer? Or ask her to send it and pay what she was charged? Cannot access the EBay return ticket.

Help - I have 3 days to do this and the buyer keeps messaging me wanting the return label.

Any help greatly appreciated

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Return from USA

I won't be much help because I have never done an international return.    But I'm pretty sure you cannot generate a return label.    How could you, Australia Post does not operate overseas.   I think you have to negotiate a price for postage with the seller and offer to pay them that amount.   So the first thing I would do is email your buyer and explain you cannot generate a return label because you are in Australia and it would not work, and ask her to obtain a postage quote.

What concerns me though is why not fight the return?    You said it is authentic.

Or worse, you might have to ask whether it is worth it.    You will lose the postage amount you used to send the item and the cost of the return postage.   Maybe $48?     I would be looking at how much the dress sold for.

Also I believe it is correct never to refund until you have the item back.

Hopefully somebody with more experience in international returns will be able to help you soon.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Return from USA

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Sorry, I can't advise on the international return.

But to clarify - No returns on your listings means change of mind only.

If something is damaged or isn't as described, then you must comply with a return.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Return from USA

OK - if it is one of the dresses sold lately - all under $100 - think I'd be letting it go.

I'd just refund the lot - by the time you pay for return postage - with the knowledge you may not even get back the dress you sent - could be any dress.................in any condition.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Return from USA

How long has the buyer had the dress? Could they have bought it for an event, worn it, and now no longer have use for it? Sadly, it happens a lot. As the others said, not worth having it returned, you stand to lose too much.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Return from USA

Oh the joys of international selling, especially clothing.   Am surprised you had the item authenticated by VP of production prior to selling, how much did verification cost or was it a freebie.

Anyway you have authentication for a dress, but no way of verifying that is the dress received by your buyer, while that may seem harsh, that is how ebay will see it, so pointless trying to fight the claim.

There are services available, but quotes all over $100 for 1kg.

You could try  USPS,  while I can obtain quotes and  flat rate costs from  US Post, I have never actually had to purchase from Australia, you would need to make sure the service included tracking and customs declaration, from memory starts at about $45

Otherwise cut your losses, or maybe offer a partial refund.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Return from USA

If you have the time left, I would be saying something like "I'm sorry you are unhappy with your purchase. Rather than go to all the trouble of returning the dress, is there a partial refund I could make that would make you feel happier? It would be dependent of course on you closing your Return Request through eBay." If she refuses, or ignores your request, you will still have time to totally refund, which is what I would recommend, as the cost of her returning the parcel and the hassle involved, would make it not worth the effort IMO. I have never done an International Return label - in my 20 years on eBay I have had 2 returns where the buyers did not start a Return Request and were happy to wait until I had received the item back; I then fully refunded plus the extra for the postage return through PayPal. I have also had 2 sales where I refunded fully for either a low value item or a for a difficult buyer. As others have said, I would think selling clothing Internationally could be VERY problematical; you would have to wonder why the buyer could not find something suitable in their own country.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply