Returns help

Just after some clarification on the returns process. I add customised text to t-shirts for buyers and a buyer has opened an INAD return to me.

I dont accept returns for change of mind as each sale is customised. Initially she was requesting an additional t-shirt be sent to her free of charge. She did not want to pay return postage anyway and wanted to keep the first item.

My listing states the standard text colour is white, although buyers are able to request a different colour.

This particular buyer didnt request any different colour, and I even sent her a PROOF showing WHITE text on her chosen coloured t-shirt, BEFORE she purchased the listing, and again afterwards, when I made another text change for her.

She is claming in her INAD return that its not as described as she expected a darker coloured text.  Buyer has a feedback of 3.

Obviously I believe the item is as described.

Wondering if I offer her the ability to return it in the returns case (before she asks ebay to "step in and help", and bend my rules, if I will be charged the return postage on the item? Of if she wants to return it, will she have to pay the return postage costs?

The item is definately as described in my opinion but considering just letting her send it back in order to keep the peace etc

But I dont want to offer her the ability to return it, if that means I'm essentially admitting the item 'isnt as described', because I am not admitting that because it is. and then that would mean I'm liable for return postage costs.

thankyou

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Returns help

qute74

No need to check Ebay's rules re customised items - not even relevant if you are 100% sure  (you seem to be and looks like you have the evidence as well, sending her a proof before she's even bought it)

Go to the dispute, click on the bottom button where it says send buyer a message - and respond with saying, sorry her claim for return/refund is denied on the basis of..... put in your reasons why the listing is 100% correct.

Also, remind her as you do customised items you have no returns for a change of mind, so you don't want it back  anyway.

Then wait 4 days - ring Ebay and they will close the dispute in your favour on the spot, while you are on the phone.

And remember, you don't need to prove what customer imagined she was getting, only that she has received what was advertised as well as advised to her prior to purchase. Anyone is free to fantasize and imagine anything they like - that is not going to help them one bit in a claim like this (in any claim). To be successful with claims, one needs to cite a very definite fault, something clearly at odds with listing.

How do I know all this - I am not even a seller!?

Just listening to other people at work dealing with this sort of thing - I have got it down pat, the procedure seems to be the same every time!

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Returns help

I would check Ebays rules about returns for customised items.

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

Returns help

Not absolutley sure about customised items either...

However, INAD means that in general ebay will side with the buyer.

You need to be able to prove to ebay that what you sent her was as described in the listing.

If you can convince ebay of that then they may close the case in your favour.

If you can convince them to change the case to a change of mind then the buyer will be responsible for return postage, and you will have the choice to refuse in line with your own policy.

Perhaps the communication between you and the buyer will be the key here. Get them to look at it if you think it would help.

However, if the buyer escalates the case then I have no doubt they will simply refund the buyer.

INAD does not equal change of mind so your returns policy is being overridden by the MBG returns policy unfortunately.

That means if you want it back you will have to pay for the return postage and then refund when you get it back.

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

Returns help

qute74

No need to check Ebay's rules re customised items - not even relevant if you are 100% sure  (you seem to be and looks like you have the evidence as well, sending her a proof before she's even bought it)

Go to the dispute, click on the bottom button where it says send buyer a message - and respond with saying, sorry her claim for return/refund is denied on the basis of..... put in your reasons why the listing is 100% correct.

Also, remind her as you do customised items you have no returns for a change of mind, so you don't want it back  anyway.

Then wait 4 days - ring Ebay and they will close the dispute in your favour on the spot, while you are on the phone.

And remember, you don't need to prove what customer imagined she was getting, only that she has received what was advertised as well as advised to her prior to purchase. Anyone is free to fantasize and imagine anything they like - that is not going to help them one bit in a claim like this (in any claim). To be successful with claims, one needs to cite a very definite fault, something clearly at odds with listing.

How do I know all this - I am not even a seller!?

Just listening to other people at work dealing with this sort of thing - I have got it down pat, the procedure seems to be the same every time!

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

Returns help

No they won't!  They always close in favour of the buyer, if you ask them to step in!

Seller loses every time.

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

Returns help

This is an INAD claim where ebay will side with the buyer unless the seller can conclusively prove the listing and the sent item exactly align.

You can call ebay and discuss the case, but at no stage do you want to ask them to step in and solve the case. They will definitley find in favour of the buyer if you do this.

If you can convince the CSR (on the phone) that you are correct they will likely just cancel the case on the spot while you are on the phone, but be very careful the CSR does not convince you to escalate as that will give you grief.

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

Returns help

Clarry and stavka, I don't mean to argue with you - but you are so wrong!

I have heard this so many times by now that I can almost repeat verbatim the entire conversations between sellers & Ebay Escalations team members.

Easily verified by calling them and asking an "academic" question, for the sake of information, or even a specific case one if you have a similar dispute - where they (the buyers) essentially claim change of ming, and are not citing any faults, except to say "I expected.... blah, blah, blah"

You stay on the phone, request to escalate it, they finally check (once more, just to make sure), listing as well as correspondence and tell you it'll be closed in your favour. 2 Min. Later Ebay message comes to confirm that,  with the addittion: "Any f/back left for this item will be removed"

Maybe, (only guessing here) the outcome can be any different if the case is left to the automated system - where no one bothers checking and reading anything!

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

Returns help

What ebay tells you and what the sellers on the boards have actually had happen are two very different things.

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

Returns help

linda, I can't say or explain what happened to sellers on the boards.

I can only vouch 100% for what  I have personally heard & witnessed :

Not only that Ebay said  what I described above - they also did it!  Exactly in the manner I outlined previously.

People that I work with are all first class sellers, did nothing wrong, everything was as described - and this being Ebay, of course, buyers attempt all sorts of  ways to claim - they would do just about anything to get their own way.

And this buyer here didn't even cite any faults - all she said is the colour wasn't what she expected. 

Who cares what she expected - that is not a fact nor a shortcomming of the listing description. 

Since Ebay can't find a single discrepancy between the listing and what they received (oh, except " I expected.... which doesn't count for anything) they have no choice but to decide in seller's favour.

Not EVER, not even once I  have heard or seen anyone lose the case under those circumstances.  But these people stay on the phone, and go through it together with Ebay and get the decision there & then.

And I can assure all of you - there is absolutely nothing wrong with my hearing and eye sight - so I don't have any choice but to believe my own eye & ears.

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

Returns help

I will keep you posted on what happens ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply