Returns policy

5kazam
Community Member

I've just received an email stating I need to update my returns policy, or items will not be auto relisted 

Currently 7 days, (as I always thought the buyer will know within 7 days whether it's broken or not as described), but now need to increase to 30 days.  Peeves me a bit as I only sell pottery, so now if someone breaks something within 30 days they can get a refund.  Though I guess I could argue that it can't be returned in the condition it was sent.

Anyway I would have thought I could do this from Site Preferences, but I can't see where there is the option to change the return time.  And I really don't want to have to change each and every item one at a time.

So it would be appreciated if some members could steer me in the right direction.

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Returns policy

Go to your My eBay All Selling page. Click the box at the bottom of all your listings so all listings are ticked, then click edit. Wait for them to load on the next screen (could take a minute or 2), then click the box at the top of them all so they all tick. Next click the edit fields box and then select return policy. Change it to 30 days (or to no returns). Click save and close, then click submit changes, then confirm and submit. Done and done.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Returns policy

Hi, 5kazam,

I'm replying from my phone...

If you only have Returns selected in case item is broken or not as described, you should probably select No Returns.

The returns option on eBay is only for change of mind. Buyers will always have the right to return if item is damaged, broken, or not as described.

(Someone else will probably post how to change returns - If not, I'll reply later when in front of the computer.)

Message 2 of 26
Latest reply

Returns policy

Thanks for that.  If I've read the changes correctly, I think I have to update to 30 days.

"Hi 5kazam,

Some of your listings need to be updated in order to comply with eBay policies or security changes.

What do you need to do?
We've identified the listings that need to be changed to meet our updated standards.

• 96 of your listings have an unsupported return policy. Listings with unsupported return policies won't be automatically relisted. Learn more about our new return policy guidance."

And I'm not sure what is meant by 'unsupported return policy'.

Message 3 of 26
Latest reply

Returns policy

If you have eBay business policies you can update your return for ALL listings in few clicks.

If item is not functioning as should under ACL, your obligations as seller doesn't just stop at 30 days. There is 'reasonable' period of time you need to provide as warranty. However if you are private seller you are not bound by this law And yes those 30 day is for change of mind, if you don't want it you can choose the no return policy.
Message 4 of 26
Latest reply

Returns policy

Go to your My eBay All Selling page. Click the box at the bottom of all your listings so all listings are ticked, then click edit. Wait for them to load on the next screen (could take a minute or 2), then click the box at the top of them all so they all tick. Next click the edit fields box and then select return policy. Change it to 30 days (or to no returns). Click save and close, then click submit changes, then confirm and submit. Done and done.

Message 5 of 26
Latest reply

Returns policy

Thanks for the answer.  Much appreciated.

Message 6 of 26
Latest reply

Returns policy

Just thought I'd let you all know the 'No Returns' is not there any more.  And eBay had already automatically changed it to 30 days.

Message 7 of 26
Latest reply

Returns policy

You can switch to no returns by unticking the returns accepted box (I got the same email last night).
Message 8 of 26
Latest reply

Returns policy

I have received this email too. It seems based on what eBay is asking I have to stop accepting returs at all. I sell wedding and event signs and  I have 3 days return only to avoid using my signs for an event and returning them. Extenting return to 60/90 days will tell my customers it is ok to rent for free this way and return them when they do not need it.

Decoroo - Custom made wooden products
Message 9 of 26
Latest reply

Returns policy

I have concerns about extending my return window to 30 days (I had it at 7, and would have been more amenable to extending it to 14 days). I will continue accepting returns for now, as they happen quite rarely and I like to offer the option for buyers because it can be easy to pick the wrong item / size, or find something won't work for what they had in mind, but I'll rethink it if it increases returns past 7-14 days to an unacceptable level.

The other concern for me is that switching to no returns will encourage a few people to use an INAD reason when they don't want something, which increases my costs etc, so I'm hesitant to do that but I can't really know how it will play out without trying each option for several months, unfortunately.

If worse comes to worse, I'll probably switch to no returns, but have a disclaimer (in listings, for whatever that would be worth) that exceptions may be made, on a case by case basis. 

Message 10 of 26
Latest reply