Ring purchase

Hi, Four questions:

1. I listed a ring and put a buy now price and an auction starting bid which for some reason, it didn't ask me to accept the winning bid?

2. The buyer wanted to pay in two weeks time and asked for the item to be shipped? No way. 

3. Can I cancel the order? 

4. All payment/ purchase transactions went through PayPal. Now it is asking me to list my bankcard. Why? 

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Ring purchase

1. it's an auction. By listing it, you agreed to accept the winning bid amount

2. if you're not prepared to wait 2 weeks for payment, cancel the sale - but as for postage, you advertise postage at $9.15 so you have to provide it for that price

3. yes

4. how do you know what payment method the buyer used? With eBay managed payments, I just get a message that the buyer has paid. There is no notification of which payment option they used

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

When you put a BIN on an auction as soon as the first bid goes in the BIN disappears. Your starting bid must be the lowest price you'll accept for the item.

If the buyer hasn't paid you can cancel using the link below.

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/selling/getting-paid/resolving-unpaid-items-buyers?id=4137

Don't let the buyer pay by any other means than Paypal/Credit card/ G Pay, which will be processed by eBay through Managed Payments.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

If you had auction as an option, it does not ask you to 'accept' the winning bid

It sells for what it sells for (the highest winning bid, even if there was one bid)

Once there is a bid, the 'buy it now' option goes away

Managed Payments started coming in quite some time ago, you should have had notification form eBay (email etc) about it

If you are going to cancel, you need to use the reason 'problem with buyers address' or you will get a defect

In future, don't start auctions at prices you will not really accept if you only get one bid

And also read up on the the recent/latest changes if you are still on 'PayPal' time, or you will be in for more surprises you won't like

You can read any of the hundreds of threads about managed Payments already on the forum as it it has been explained and posted about 

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

@sandypebbles wrote:

And also read up on the the recent/latest changes if you are still on 'PayPal' time, or you will be in for more surprises you won't like

Sandy if it's the engagement ring, they've got Managed Payments on it.

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

is it this one?

5.5Ct Moissanite Diamond Ring, 14 Ct White Gold Plated Engagement Ring | eBay

postage shows as $7.65 for me

if you cancel the sale, be prepared for negative feedback

is PayPal asking for your bankcard details?

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

1) Any time you put a BIN price as well as a lower starting auction price, the buyer will always use the auction as they will hope that nobody else bids. In this case, that's exactly what happened. You only had one bidder and they paid the opening bid because nobody else wanted it. If you want to get a proper price for your jewellery, you should never use an auction price and a BIN price together. Just use one or the other and set the price at the minimum you are prepared to accept.

2) The buyer needs to pay within 4 days, or you need to open an Unpaid Item Dispute. That is the problem with auctions. If you have a BIN price, you can set Immediate Payment required and you will never have to chase money ever again.

Why didn't you want to post the item? You have postage on your other jewellery. 

3) If you don't want to open a payment dispute, you can cancel the transaction - use the reason "problem with buyers address". 

4) Have you signed up for Managed Payments? It has been advertised on Ebay since last year. All sellers have  to be on the new system. I suggest you look at signing up immediately. There is no more Paypal for sellers on Ebay. When you sell something now, Ebay takes their fees upfront and sends the balance to your bank account.

If you are an infrequent seller, your funds will be held for at least 21 days as per the current guidelines.

Also, any item you are selling for more than $750 requires Signature on Delivery, otherwise you will lose any dispute that a buyer opens against you.

With that other ring you are selling - nobody is going to pay $3000, when they can just start their bid at $1000 and most likely be the only bidder again. You'll be losing a lot of money this way.

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

Thank you for that

Computer still glitching all over the shop so have not been able to look at too many details as I usually can

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

@twyngwyn wrote:

if you cancel the sale, be prepared for negative feedback

Twyn, the seller has implied it's not paid for yet so the link I provided should be used, then no feedback can be left by either party.

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

they paid by PayPal??

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply