SELLERS BEWARE!!! eBay/PayPal deception/rip off

Firstly I'd like to begin with saying that my selling practices have not changed in the last year-doing exactly has I had successfully done to obtain Top Rated Seller status for.

Now with new policies, it has made my status decline & I'm fed up with loosing such large amounts of money to dishonesty, deception & greed.
Below I will highlight some areas sellers should be absolutely aware of now.

1/ With the new eBay moneyback guarantee it requires ALL ITEMS BE SENT WITH TRACKABLE POSTAGE....PERIOD, to receive seller protection.

If a seller does not send an item via a trackable means of postage, any & every buyer can open a request, even when they have received the item, to claim their money back. Even when the buyer has declined paying for the upgrade to trackable postage. eBay has opened itself up to abuse via dishonesty.

2/ Now I had always offered free postage with several options to upgrade that to a trackable form at the buyers expense, that typically buyers waive at checkout.
eBay receives a fee of that postage amount if a buyer does upgrade which is utterly wrong as eBay do not provide that service at all. eBay already receive a fee from the collection of those funds through PayPal.
Estimated delivery on items is misleading. Countless times I'm asked, 'said my item was to be here <such & such a date>. Australia Post policy states that a standard delivery item can take up to 10 business days. eBay should be following Australia Posts policy, not their atomatically generated 'estimate' which buyers mostly take as being a guarantee of delivery.

3/ Returns: A buyer can now open a returns request. The seller can accept the return. The buyer does not need to return it & can escalate it later to receive a full refund. Appealing this does not gain a result. Buyers do not need to provide tracking of the return.

4/ Below Average Seller status results in PayPal freezing available funds for up to 21 days. The Financial Ombudsman Service www.fos.org.au is eager to hear from all who have this issue.
Simply go to the website, click lodge a dispute (green button to the right), then lodge a dispute button again (green button bottom) & fill out the form.

The only way to increase your status & release funds quicker is to provide tracking numbers.
Funds are released when feedback is received, so PayPal have informed me.
Now a dispute process is already available, so the 'freeze' of funds is unwarranted.

5/ Every request opened becomes a defect on your seller status. ie, your positive rating declines.

6/ Negative or Nuetral feedback when unwarranted or unjustified even when you can prove it, will still not removed when reveiwed by eBay. Basically, as long as there is no profanity, contact information or threats, then a buyer can say whatever untruth they wish without having to worry eBay will reveiw their account.

I have maintained a 1 business day mailing out policy as I have done for over a year now.
Had my great service reflected in the excellent feedback I was receiving. (Yes you'd have those customers who are not satisfied with any solution to a problem & would leave negative or neutral feedback.)
Now since eBay have introduced new policies without prior warnings of the changes, my seller status has dropped to 'below average' even tho I have not changed a thing.
The new moneyback guarantee is to blame.
It has given free reign for all standard mail items sent to be refunded if the buyer opens a request.
Simple solution is to increase the prices, yeah. In theory. eBay is all about the lowest price gets the sale. Increase in my price means I wont get the sale. Bigger stores have better postage deals with Australia Post and therefore can sell cheaper.
The returns request has also been changed & can easily be manipulated. I've had several buyers ask for a return. I accept as I should. Item does not arrive, buyer escalates for review & I have to refund & the buyer keeps the item, no return tracking needed.

Recently I was in hospital for just over 3 weeks. Arranged for someone to maintain the processing of my daily sales. Messages & my PayPal account were not.

Upon coming home, I was fuming to find that both eBay & PayPal had been refunding my money. In PayPal 2 large $$$ trackable purchases marked 'delivered' had been refunded by PayPal because I had not responded to their requests for the tracking information. I appealed and gave the information they had requested. It was rejected as I had not provided the information in the time they had asked for it. in eBay was simply the requests to say the buyer had not received their item. Item packaged & sent. Even if there was an issue like Australia Post loosing an item or unsecure letter boxes, (which I have always replaced at my expense in the past when it occurred), the sharp increase in buyers saying their item has not arrived has to lie with dishonesty. & as the seller, I pay the price.
Yet again, dishonest buyers getting the approval to continue being dishonest without any consequence.

Sellers have no protection unless you spend the $$ to buy tracking.
In my case, I sell items that cost from $10-$30 typically. Cost to send is $1.40-$3.50. Where's the justification in buying postage of $7.20 per item to get tracking? Plus the rediculously high eBay fees on top of that, then PayPal fees. Makes selling the cheaper items (which sell so well), not profitable at all. When sellers in my genre of DVD/Blu ray don't make much on each item sold to begin with.
Australia Post have teamed up with eBay for postage options. Why Australia Post is not doing 'large letter parcel postage' pricing is detrimental to them. Oh, but that's right, Australia Post 'claim' standard mail is not making them money so they want to cut it. Initiatives to increase sales in the standard mail forum would be more beneficial.

Anyway, theres my warning & rant.
Anyone else have views of their own on this sunject?

Message 1 of 60
Latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

Re: SELLERS BEWARE!!! eBay/PayPal deception/rip off

comcol
Community Member

The original poster is spot on with the major problems with Ebay.

Ebay has turned into nothing but a dishonest and untrustworthy business.

They openly allow thefts by their 'protected' sellers

They openly steal money from honest sellers accounts when dishonest buyers make a false claim.

They never respond to any emails and or complaints.

They display utter contempt for those with an issue they are trying to solve.

Worst of all they allow defamation of a business on their site by refusing to remove proven false comments.

Message 41 of 60
Latest reply

I have also been ripped off by Ebay with their so called 'money back guarantee' when they refunded the buyer and the buyer did not return the goods and refused to communicate.  This is to me a case of Ebay guaranteeing that fraudsters can get something for nothing if they buy from them.

I have since decided that I will no longer be selling anything on Ebay and not buying anything there either.  There are plenty of other sites that you can buy from.  I have spent literally thousands on Ebay but it appears to me that they are willing to do anything for the sake of the almighty dollar.  Their technology leaves alot to be desired and so is not that safe to use either.

Seems to me and from what others tell me (buyers and sellers alike), they do not trust Ebay.  Pay Pal at least have their act together and so I think and am aware now that Ebay is running out of time and will eventually go down the tubes.

Or, are they now resorting to getting their money at any price.............

Message 42 of 60
Latest reply

Same here. I sent a Registered Internation Post 500gram satchel to Canada. Proof of adressee, internal Australia Post tracking- not visible on the website- and signature on delivery.

Buyer claimed it hasnt arrive. Ebay say I need to prove delivery took place. I cant. Canada Post dont upload that info to Australia Post.

Paypal say its a ebay dispute and they have no involvment. Ebay will take money from my paypal account for the refund.

Message 43 of 60
Latest reply

With all due respect Lyndal that is BS.

Every seller trying to reduce costs associated with selling wants to avoid paying unneccessary fees is a bad seller?

So the $500 plus per month I pay in Paypal fees I should just wear?? $6,000 per year.

If half my buyers paid by bank deposit I would get to keep $250 per month. $3,000 per year more in my pocket.

And yes I have sold over 2,000 items in the last 12 months so I think Im qualified to have this opinion.

Every sensible seller wants more money in their pocket. To call them bad sellers is BS.

Message 44 of 60
Latest reply

I assume your little rant is over the post where I said that I am always wary of a seller who pushes bank deposit as a payment method.

Please note the important word in that post is PUSHES bank deposit...as in encourages bank deposit by not haveing an operational safe payment method and asks buyers to use bank deposit.

You have taken my post in the wrong way....I am all for sellers offering bank deposit if they are comfortable with it.....I even use it myself with a couple of selllers who I have dealt with for many years.

But if I see a new(ish) seller with very little feedback telling buyers that they are "having trouble with their paypal account" then I will back out quick smart.....too many transactions go pear shaped after that.  Some of the sellers may be genuine but in my not inconsiderable experience the vast majority are out to rip the buyer off.

Message 45 of 60
Latest reply

Wow.  You clearly work for ebay.  They are KILLING us as sellers, yet you are forever pooh poohing the seller who has issues.  Ebay is HORRIBLE to contact and offers no support for sellers.  I agree with the main thread, as sellers, who do the right thing, pay the fees on time, and maintain excellent feedback are punished and lose money.  Don't talk about selling elsewhere, ebay is the only online seller in Australia who has the money to market to get the traffic.  Beleive me, if I didn't get some of my business from ebay, I would ditch them in a heartbeat as the policies and bias toward buyers is disgusting.

Message 46 of 60
Latest reply

@deesfunkyartpaintings wrote:

Wow.  You clearly work for ebay.  They are KILLING us as sellers, yet you are forever pooh poohing the seller who has issues.  Ebay is HORRIBLE to contact and offers no support for sellers.  I agree with the main thread, as sellers, who do the right thing, pay the fees on time, and maintain excellent feedback are punished and lose money.  Don't talk about selling elsewhere, ebay is the only online seller in Australia who has the money to market to get the traffic.  Beleive me, if I didn't get some of my business from ebay, I would ditch them in a heartbeat as the policies and bias toward buyers is disgusting.

WOW, you come in here, guns blazing, dig up a 6 month old thread, then proceed to abuse a highly respect, VERY experienced forum member. Pretty poor form. For the record, eBay employees do NOT come to these forums. Everyone here are members just like yourself. Fellow buyers and sellers who VOLUNTARILY help out people who are having issues.

If you need help with something, best to start a new thread and not abuse any of the very experienced volunteers here.

Message 47 of 60
Latest reply

@deesfunkyartpaintings wrote:

After rereading this old thread I have to wonder why you picked out phorum junkie to be the subject of your rant?   Her remarks are quite mild compared to some of the others in this thread.

And for the record phorum junkie does not work for ebay...none of the responders on the boards do.  PJ is a long term, highly respected seller like many others on the boards.

If you want to sell on ebay you have very little option but to work within their rules whether you like them or not.  You just need to adapt your selling technique to the rules, no matter what you think of them.  As you have noted, there are not many other options to sell in AUstralia.

Message 48 of 60
Latest reply

5 stars across the board, 148+ $100 sales in the last year, you are surely getting shafted.

If I had that level of turnover I suspect I would have bitten the bullet and set up my own website

Message 49 of 60
Latest reply

"eBay already receive a fee from the collection of those funds through PayPal."

Ebay no longer receive the fee that was charged on postage when a buyer pays with Paypal as eBay and Paypal are now separate companies. I'm assuming that is why eBay started charging a fee on postage.

Message 50 of 60
Latest reply