SOMEONE EXPLAIN WHY THE SELLERS ARE PAYING THE NEW GST TAX?

when i buy something at a store it includes gst.

when i sell on ebay as a seller i pay the gst on fees???

whats going on???

why isnt the buyer paying it???

for example when i list an item for $10, ebay should add the 10% like so ($10+$1GST = Total cost: $11+ FREE POSTAGE)

i make the ten dollars minus normal fees, the gst goes to ebay then they pay that $1 to the government!!!

but thats not what is happening, the seller is paying the gst and the buyer pays nothing, i as the seller is the looser, the opposite of how it works in a real store. its as if ebay is treating the sellers as customers of this service of this site???? instead of treating the sold items as the service?

the seller never pays the gst, only the buyer as it should be.

why was this so hard to do??? why do it the wrong way in ebays benifit and not letting customers pay it.

So backwards??????

and whats weirder is if your a business your exempt from the gst???why?? then who pays?? ebay?? whats the point, so weird.

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: SOMEONE EXPLAIN WHY THE SELLERS ARE PAYING THE NEW GST TAX?

Be careful what you wish for! I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't want my fees/taxes to be increased by 1000%. You need to do some homework!
Message 11 of 17
Latest reply

@clubesquire wrote:

You however, will determine whether or not you will charge GST on the goods and services you sell to YOUR customers based mainly on whether or not you fall within the main (legislative) criteria to do so, which I think at the moment is a sell of $75,000 per annum and above, but not exclusively. You can if you want, although I don't know why, elect to be subject to GST under that amount.

just to clarify the above paragraph by melina:

You however, will determine whether or not you will charge GST on the goods and services you sell

If a seller decides to charge their buyers GST then:

- they must be registered for GST with the Australian Tax Office

- they must remit any GST charged to their buyers to the Australian Tax Office

- the prices of their Buy-Now items must be GST inclusive i.e. GST can not be added after the buyer hits the Buy-Now button

- the end price achieved at auction must be GST inclusive i.e. GST can not be added to the final bid price

If a seller wishes to cover the GST paid on the fees paid to eBay by having the buyer pay that GST amount they need to factor that into their Buy-Now pricing OR factor that into the P&H charge they include.

P&H is supposed to be charged only for the reasonable costs associated with the postage and handling of the item, so DO NOT include in your listings any statement that breaks down your P&H charge and informs the buyer that they are in fact covering the GST on your fees.  Just have an up-front P&H charge that is reasonable and available for buyers to see before they make the decision to buy or not buy.

A buyer should not be questioning your P&H charge if you do it this way.  However, a buyer can report you to eBay if you start saying in your listings that P&H covers such things as petrol to get to the PO, your time to pack and post the item, your eBay/PayPal fees and the GST you pay on your fees.

Message 12 of 17
Latest reply

Thanks K1000, well explained. No ambiguity.

Melina.

Message 13 of 17
Latest reply

Why is gst added to the postage ?
Message 14 of 17
Latest reply

Because postage is a service.

Message 15 of 17
Latest reply

It’s called eBay rip off 

Message 16 of 17
Latest reply

It's actually called an Australian Government requirement.

Maybe determine the facts before you bump an old thread to add nothing of value. Or even factual.

Message 17 of 17
Latest reply