Safe drop

Hi,I have sold items in the past fortnight and when I check tracking it says delivered by Safe Drop what exactly does this mean has the item been delivered or is at PO waiting to be collected.I apologise in advance if this has been discussed before,I must have missed it.

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Safe drop

You will only get defects if you don't have proof of posting within your handling time.

Message 11 of 29
Latest reply

Safe drop

@jimmyjoejoe_jnr wrote:

Hi,I have sold items in the past fortnight and when I check tracking it says delivered by Safe Drop what exactly does this mean has the item been delivered or is at PO waiting to be collected.I apologise in advance if this has been discussed before,I must have missed it.

Am really pleased you have posted this as I noticed one of my parcels logged as "safe drop" in the last week and have not had this happen before.  I mostly don't have signature required.

Will be interested in the discussion that follows.

Message 12 of 29
Latest reply

Safe drop

As the topic was posted 4 days ago I think that this is pretty much the whole discussion.

Message 13 of 29
Latest reply

Safe drop

No its not.   Might be for a buyer like yourself.

But its not for sellers. 

It has only started.

I have not yet spotted a safe drop, but will watch in interest as to how this unfolds - particulary in terms of disputes over delivery.

Message 14 of 29
Latest reply

Safe drop

I have several items that have come up in tracking as being delivered by safe drop,when I clicked on the question mark beside it ,it says the buyer has registered for safe drop.I am assuming that means they cannot say they never received it if someone should steal it from there safe drop zone.Maybe Lyndal you would know this as you said you were registered for safe drop Thanks

Message 15 of 29
Latest reply

Safe drop

@jimmyjoejoe_jnr wrote:

I have several items that have come up in tracking as being delivered by safe drop,when I clicked on the question mark beside it ,it says the buyer has registered for safe drop.I am assuming that means they cannot say they never received it if someone should steal it from there safe drop zone.Maybe Lyndal you would know this as you said you were registered for safe drop Thanks

Yes Jimmy, I have been registered for Safe Drop for over 10 years.  One of the terms of that agreement was that I can not claim an item not received.

The few parcels I have had go missing I was able to claim for because I was able to prove they had never even been safe dropped.....they were overseas parcels and had never even left the country of origin.

The original safe drop agreement was never shown on the tracking as being safe dropped. 

This new feature seems to be referring to items where I have received an email from AP telling me they are on the way and I have been given the option to redirect them or authorise a safe drop.  So far they have only been local parcels posted through Australia Post so I don't know if it will apply to overseas deliveries.

Message 16 of 29
Latest reply

Safe drop

Yeah i just sent an item and noticed the same . saying it was " safe dropped ".  all new wierd stuff to me.

Anyways in reference to deliveries to me . I also have video security at back door also as a note. 

My normal Aust Post delivery person Never needs me to sign for packages requiring signature on delivery.

Domestic only i believe ( have not bought international for ages with signature )

Im not sure why they do this . Just this morning i got a medium size box that says requires a signature on delivery , and box was sitting there  right on my back door !!!!  about $200 in goods purchased in value

( i never made agreement to drop and leave items items at my house ) 

I also have never lost any items also.

My non normal delivery driver does get me to sign ..

I take this as Aust Post saving money and being a little complaciant with there deliveries..

Couriers in my state sux ***  so not an option...

With paypal forced and this behavour makes hard for us legit private sellers that can NOT write things off as a tax write off , if problems occur .

That is why i video recored EVERYTHING i package and post ..

Also the item i am talking about that was sent to buyer in my own state i was charged 17.5% in total fees from ebay and paypal.

$39 item and $9.50 postage.

Paypal took $1.56  ebay took the rest of the 17.5% total fees charged to me

postage cost was $1.70 over the actual cost because it cost me in soft packing ect. & fuel ect. to deliver items for post and also ebay charging +10% on postage the same as the item i should not have to be expected to lose money for the postage cost...

It is Unlawful for ebay to charge on postage  (  its not a service they have anything to do with , if i use a different company than them ), but due to those americans ( main offenders i noticed ) that sold items for $1 and had $100 in postage to save on thier fees , and ebay cant stop it , we the good sellers get f'ed over paying fees on postage.

So combine all this and silly policies for buyers to abuse if they want , dont make this place very friendly to use for private sellers IMHO

A few things to keep an eye on.

Message 17 of 29
Latest reply

Safe drop

I have not noticed too many problems being posted on the boards re the Safe Drop option in the 16 months since this thread was started.

It is obviously not causing too much angst or there would be other sellers posting here.

Message 18 of 29
Latest reply

Safe drop

Not to mention the fantasy that if they're buying stuff to resell and it's stolen, they can't write it off for tax. Which would only be the case if they weren't paying tax.

So, whilst eBay charging FVF on postage has been deemed to be legal, no matter how immoral it is, not paying tax on income is both illegal AND immoral.

Message 19 of 29
Latest reply

Safe drop

stolen goods are a different thing altogether , and everyone knows the recieveing stolen goods is never good, and you can be charged by law.

The old saying if it sounds too good it usually never is.

Im a private collector of toys i like to own for @ 15-20 years . some i never use , some i do . Sometimes if i need some folding $ and i try to sell some of  them . 

I should not have to declare that as an ' income'  period..

Buy If i buy and sell alot 10x same items then Yes i should declare it as you are intentionally making profit... = income..

and FVF on postage is immoral and i deem illegal. but when we are talking a tonne of $ , all governemets and legal people will agree with ebay ....

Ebay only changed that rule when they couldnt stop ' some dodge people ' listing thier items like that to avoid paying the fees that they agreed to by selling on ebay , ruining it for the rest of us

Message 20 of 29
Latest reply