Sales.... 30% off

saarzi
Community Member

I have been experiementing with sales over the past 6 months - 20 - 30% off.

Thats on all my items - both brand new with tags and pre loved.

Its not made one ounce of difference to sales.

Most of the time, Ive had 40-50% of my items on sale. Consistently throughout the 6 months my NON SALE items have outsold the sale items dramatically, to the point where Ill only have one sale item sold a month versus maybe 50 non sale items.  

Makes me wonder a couple of things - how Ebay is actually handling items in search (they never seem to be higher in ranking, plus "sale" message visibility, plus amount of sales allowed (too many?) etc etc), and, how customers actually perceive sales *on Ebay* specifically.

For myself, outside of Ebay I like sales (some of them anyway). On Ebay, I seem to avoid sales. I dont know what it is, but I dont see the sales as genuine (marked up then marked down), and I dont trust the items quality. 5-10% sales are just insulting. I wonder if other buyers are similar.

Either way the results demonstrate sales as not an effective tool at all on Ebay.

Any similar experience with sales long term?

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Sales.... 30% off

Sales have never really had much of a response when I've run them, but I usually use it on slow-movers, or items where the popularity has noticably waned. I also think it's a bit harder online, especially on a site like eBay where there's millions of different sellers and items, because sale events aren't advertised or promoted in the same ways as something like 20% storewide at Target (where everyone knows exactly what they want, or can look for, if they visit the store, but don't have to have something very specific in mind before they go, and they also know it's not being discounted because there's something wrong with it - not that everyone would automatically assume that with a sale item here, just that the impression can be a bit different). With the exception of the big retailers here, who do get a bit of promotion.

For the rest of us, it's a bit harder to announce (and get extra attention to) a sale, except to those who may be following the store and/or any social media outlets, which leaves normal search results, and I think they are unlikely to increase due to a sale. Traffic might, but when searching, most people are looking at a list of one specific item and unless you use something subtitles to announce a store sale, they'll only see the price of a single item along with the prices of 24+ other sellers, which isn't necessarily as enticing as seeing multiple discounts displayed. 

I think regular sales can turn  off followers of an item or store, JMHO, people will start to expect and wait for them and as you say, assume the full price is inflated. A lot of people (myself included) also check the sales history on items that are on sale - I like to see whether it's purchased at the regular or discounted price most often, to see if the discounted price is effectively the 'regular' price. I know it shouldn't make a difference if I'm prepared to pay the current asking price anyway Smiley Embarassed but I just kinda like to know if I'm really getting a discount - a seller I followed had 50% storewide pretty much permanently and in the end I never bought any of the items I was interested in as the gimmick turned me off. 

The only discount promotion I've had genuine and consistent success with is the buy X amount, save X percentage on the total. I've run that 3 times now, a few months in between each one, and each time the sales that qualified for the discount have increased - and, believe it of not, I only provide a 5% discount. My items are low value, usually bought in multiples, and the minimum purchase required is under $30 (I also use flat rate postage which in itself works as a bit of a discount on multiple item purchases), so it's not something I use to entice more buyers, but it's a little reward for those who buy several items. 

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

Sales.... 30% off

Not quite in the same league, but last month I offered a discount of around 20-30% (depending on sale price) on subsequent purchases if buyers purchased more than one of a particular item (T-shirts and shirts mainly), and combined postage**. I not only announced it within the description ( which 99% of buyers never read) but also made up a photo to include in the gallery. I had it on around 100 items, and from memory, only two people took advantage of it. Waste of time and probably will not bother again.

** to clarify, my combined postage is a discounted one i.e. I don't add anything more to postage cost if the items weigh under the 500g for a satchel.

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

Sales.... 30% off

@saarzi wrote:

I have been experiementing with sales over the past 6 months - 20 - 30% off.

Thats on all my items - both brand new with tags and pre loved.

Its not made one ounce of difference to sales.

Most of the time, Ive had 40-50% of my items on sale. Consistently throughout the 6 months my NON SALE items have outsold the sale items dramatically, to the point where Ill only have one sale item sold a month versus maybe 50 non sale items.  

Makes me wonder a couple of things - how Ebay is actually handling items in search (they never seem to be higher in ranking, plus "sale" message visibility, plus amount of sales allowed (too many?) etc etc), and, how customers actually perceive sales *on Ebay* specifically.

For myself, outside of Ebay I like sales (some of them anyway). On Ebay, I seem to avoid sales. I dont know what it is, but I dont see the sales as genuine (marked up then marked down), and I dont trust the items quality. 5-10% sales are just insulting. I wonder if other buyers are similar.

Either way the results demonstrate sales as not an effective tool at all on Ebay.

Any similar experience with sales long term?

If your having trouble shifting a particular item, increase the price, it's an old sales trick.

May or may not work of course, but that's what i do with my harder moving items.Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

Sales.... 30% off

I ran a couple of % discount promotions and am currently running another (10% off for sales of $20 or more).

They don't seem to be generating much. One multiple sale I'm sure of. 1 sale where they bought 2, paid separately and got the discount on 1.

It represents 3-4 of my general listings, so if somebody wants to avail themselves of the 'bulk' discount it's there for them and worth it for me.

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

Sales.... 30% off

I do lots of sales, but i don't seem to sell alot of sale items.Smiley Happy

Maybe just the wrong items?

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

Sales.... 30% off

I've tried lowering prices and it makes no difference.  People seem to respond better when I increase my prices.  Sometimes I start low so all the early birds and people watching my account can get good prices, then sometimes increase by 50 cents a day over a 10-day period.  Give it a try and see what happens.  It may trigger some auto "activity-detecting" thing and make eBay give you more exposure.

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

Sales.... 30% off

They seem to benefit my sales slightly, but it could just be wishful thinking Robot Very Happy

I think..

There are a number of people who will make the purchase rather than putting it on their wish list if the item is on sale.

And there are people who will purchase a sale item, rather than an identical item from another seller which is not on sale. Even if the price is the same. Why? People are silly 😄

And if you have low-cost items, there are people who are more likely to make additional purchases when on sale.

But I also think experienced buyers know that many sellers buffer their prices. And the item is always on sale, at the 'correct price'. So sales simply don't phase them.

But who knows if it's really worth all the trouble, when eBay's just going to throttle your sales anyway...

All that aside, the primary reason I create sales is for the additional in-store advertising it provides. See attachment. A couple of store listings are shown just above the item description, with a link to view more. It's not much, but it's free and I don't have to do anything. So I take advantage of it. Every little bit of marketing helps!!

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

Sales.... 30% off

I find I get a bit peeved when something I paid full price for suddenly goes on a discount. Woman Sad

I often notice because I keep things in my watch list.

It makes me think-well, if I fancy something from that seller again, I won't rush in, I'll be watching for a while to see what the prices do.

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

Sales.... 30% off

@springyzone wrote:

I find I get a bit peeved when something I paid full price for suddenly goes on a discount. Woman Sad

I often notice because I keep things in my watch list.

It makes me think-well, if I fancy something from that seller again, I won't rush in, I'll be watching for a while to see what the prices do.

I bought a high priced item before Christmas when eBay had a 10% promotion on. I paid $1,095 (before the discount). 2 days later the item went UP to $1,195 and I've noticed now that it's increased to $1,395. The seller didn't have a sale on, so not sure why their price has gone up $300. That said, I did buy from him because he was $300 cheaper than the next competitor (plus I knew it would arrive before Christmas as it was only 2 days postage from his location), so maybe he's been watching the other sellers still selling despite the price, so put his up.

I'm just glad I bought when I did!

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply