Sales down 70% on last year... what is going on?

Unbelievable...been doing Ebay for 10 years and it's never been this bad..our sales compared to last year are around 70% down...18 days at the moment without a sale, when we usually have around 8-10 per month..This has never happened before..we have 100% rating..All of our listings are free to Aussie customers..we ship same day (business day) pop prepaid satchels in post..reg post the next business day....despite all of the reassurance from the reps..i feel something isn't right..is it the lights on lights off theory?? is that real? or just an urban myth...all i know is things have nosedived compared to previous years..sure there is amazon & facebook..& gumtree..product trends change to..but really 70% so drastic Ebay says everything is fine re: page views traffic is coming..the reps are terrible here..arrogant is a word that comes to mind..sure they cant make people buy..but i still think something ain't right and does one get "blacklisted" if you disagree with their views..ie: they choke your traffic..shrugs i have no idea..then i read ebay makes a stack from google ads and we are just providing content to them..what gives...???

Message 1 of 64
Latest reply
63 REPLIES 63

Re: Sales down 70% on last year... what is going on?

Wet weekend, I'd love to see that. So far this year in Adelaide we have 16mm of rain for the ENTIRE 15 weeks of the year.

In many parts of the country there is a shocking drought.  That does not help confidence, cash flow in the community or discrentionary spending one bit.

Does not help the farmers or the wildlife either, so on a number of fronts, I am praying for rain.

My eBay business is struggling, compared to March and April of last year the sales are about 50% down on that period, despite having more listings than last year. The first half of the year are usually best for me, this year has been a battle, so far..

In fact, it has been a slow, steady decline since about 2011, despite a lot of time and effort.

Such is life.  It s still the best job I have done out of quite a few over the last 40 years and it always depends on what stock one can get and at what price...

Message 21 of 64
Latest reply

I,m running sheep in the adelaide Hills. Its the driest I have ever seen it. Going to fence off a dam in a minute. It is empty and the stock are getting stuck in the mud at the bottom.

To ebay - 

The thing that many people forget is that when times are tough, theres plenty of stock around at bargain basement prices. I,m finding that much stuff at the moment it is ridiculous and it is building up quicker than I can list it.

A good strategy is to buy the stuff dirt cheap, sell for a discount on normal price and just churn stock as fast as you can. The profits can be similar, because the buy in price is cheap and stock turnover can actually increase, because the stuff is sold on ebay slightly cheaper than normal. 

My current strategy is to buy cheap, do brief listing descriptions which dont take much time to do, sell at around a 20% discount to normal and churn stock as quick as I can. Its working a treat.

Message 22 of 64
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

This Easter is far from usual on ebay....even taking into account the usual sales on weekends.

It is in the middle of the school holidays in NSW and the Easter Show is on.

Even the boards are slower than a wet weekend....quite dead even for a normal weekend.

None of that is stopping my sales.  It's been slower than usual for me for the last few months, but not since the long weekend started.  A friend of mine said a particular selling group on facebook has been going gangbusters since Friday so people obviously have more time to look for things to buy - and they are definitely buying!

Message 23 of 64
Latest reply

nah.. wasnt seeking sympathy.. or advice on how to be an ebay sycophant

@davewil1964 wrote:

Didn't your posts here - https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/Decline-in-sales-not-just-eBay/m-p/2232372#M183897

elicit the sympathy you need?

nah.. wasnt seeking sympathy.. or advice from an ebay sycophant

Message 24 of 64
Latest reply

Sycophant?

I just work with the tools provided. And don't complain about the things eBay are unlikely to change.

I have yet to see any productive results from whinging on the boards, except maybe misery loving company, so I will keep on with my way until eBay becomes no longer viable. At which point I will stop listing. I certainly won't be trumpeting it on the boards, or the reasons why.

Message 25 of 64
Latest reply

True... Misery does create a sense of bonding... and there is method in some complaining... but it's true that people who are miserable/unhappy complain to poorer effect than do people who are happier, more mindful (able to focus their thoughts and emotions in the present moment) and with the hope of achieving a particular result.

There are times when it feels like a relief simply to let go and vent. However, doing so on these boards may often not be appropriate. It's much better to find a group of sympathetic friends who know that what one's looking for is ❝sympathy and attention❞. Or - I suppose people could post here, prefacing the bulk of their post with something like this:

❝I'm not looking for a solution, result, or positive outcome. I have to admit it: I am posting here to be a bit of a drama llama, to vent, to garner sympathy, to sob a little and gulp and have people metaphorically pat me on the shoulder and murmur "There, there"... or to have stories of similar outrage posted. I realise not everyone will feel able to give that sort of feedback on this thread; that's okay. But I do respectfully ask that no one post a solution because I am SPITTING CHIPS and I DON'T WANT a solution and I want to VENT like an enraged dyspepsic dragon with acute heartburn. Thank you.❞

Vent

Message 26 of 64
Latest reply

@countessalmirena wrote:

True... Misery does create a sense of bonding... and there is method in some complaining... but it's true that people who are miserable/unhappy complain to poorer effect than do people who are happier, more mindful (able to focus their thoughts and emotions in the present moment) and with the hope of achieving a particular result.

There are times when it feels like a relief simply to let go and vent. However, doing so on these boards may often not be appropriate. It's much better to find a group of sympathetic friends who know that what one's looking for is ❝sympathy and attention❞. Or - I suppose people could post here, prefacing the bulk of their post with something like this:

❝I'm not looking for a solution, result, or positive outcome. I have to admit it: I am posting here to be a bit of a drama llama, to vent, to garner sympathy, to sob a little and gulp and have people metaphorically pat me on the shoulder and murmur "There, there"... or to have stories of similar outrage posted. I realise not everyone will feel able to give that sort of feedback on this thread; that's okay. But I do respectfully ask that no one post a solution because I am SPITTING CHIPS and I DON'T WANT a solution and I want to VENT like an enraged dyspepsic dragon with acute heartburn. Thank you.❞

Vent

I'm not sure about the rest, but the highlighted bit could describe me after a very enjoyable meal in which I ate too much .....

Unfortunately that happens regularly as my lovely other half cooks most of the time, and he serves large, delicious portions which are not very good for either my waistline or digestion.

And he still tells me I'm beautiful  .....   shoulda gone to Specsavers Woman Very Happy

Message 27 of 64
Latest reply

On average we are down 25% in net profit.

Over the last year I am sure that MANY new sellers

have entered the marketplace. Not to get rich but simply

to get by.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Cosmologically speaking we are all little more than a bacterial film on a soft rock hurtling through an unimaginable void.
Don't take it all too seriously.
Message 28 of 64
Latest reply

EBay has changed. They give listing priorities to actual businesses which attract more revenue for ebay.
Message 29 of 64
Latest reply

The time has come the walrus said,  the sun is shining over the sea, even though it is night time. This makes the moon angry and it makes me even more angry. I totally agree and my sales are down around 50%.

I am just a pauper eBay seller and happy to make $5 on each item I sell on ebay, to help supply me in coffee's (I am addicted).

In 2018, my average sales were $300/month. In 2019 at start of year $200/ month, but by end of 2019 to present 2020 is around $160/month. I currently have 130 items for sale, but only 11 watchers, go figure.

Apparently, over 8 million Australians interact with ebay every single month, but where are they?

Message 30 of 64
Latest reply