Sales down 70% on last year... what is going on?

Unbelievable...been doing Ebay for 10 years and it's never been this bad..our sales compared to last year are around 70% down...18 days at the moment without a sale, when we usually have around 8-10 per month..This has never happened before..we have 100% rating..All of our listings are free to Aussie customers..we ship same day (business day) pop prepaid satchels in post..reg post the next business day....despite all of the reassurance from the reps..i feel something isn't right..is it the lights on lights off theory?? is that real? or just an urban myth...all i know is things have nosedived compared to previous years..sure there is amazon & facebook..& gumtree..product trends change to..but really 70% so drastic Ebay says everything is fine re: page views traffic is coming..the reps are terrible here..arrogant is a word that comes to mind..sure they cant make people buy..but i still think something ain't right and does one get "blacklisted" if you disagree with their views..ie: they choke your traffic..shrugs i have no idea..then i read ebay makes a stack from google ads and we are just providing content to them..what gives...???

Message 1 of 64
Latest reply
63 REPLIES 63

Re: Sales down 70% on last year... what is going on?

@party_buzz wrote:

Did you also know if a buyer trys to add an item to the cart on most of our listing this is the message they get....I am trying to get ebay to fix this. Try one of your listings by clicking add to cart see if you are getting this error for buyers. 

An item you selected wasn't added to your cart because the seller is on holiday. If you wish to purchase this item, please contact the seller and ask to be notified when they return.

I have had 2 sales and this this is the issue atm for me.

This is the subject of another thread, where a seller is having the same problem

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/Shop-showing-on-holiday-but-it-isn-t/m-p/2350021#M202672

It seems an issue of having some items with 0 quantity:   do you have any such?

e.g. im-entertainment says

ike others - i have had the same message appear when stock drops to "0" on a listing. once you increase the stock, the item disappears.

seems like a simple bug to me - ebay are probably displaying the holiday mode message in place of out of stock for some reason.

Message 61 of 64
Latest reply

@supermussolinibros wrote:

oh i see Now i understand

you are a professional seller with and ABN and pay lots of tax and lots of fees - it's a career for you and hence your investment in ebay doing well - without ebay i guess you are stuffed and rely on people coming here big time.

What a pity you did not look at the Spoiler before opening your mouth and making a fool of yourself.

The income that chameleon speaks of has nothing to do with ebay and everything to do with his day job.

Ebay is the icing on the cake, not the bread and butter.

Message 62 of 64
Latest reply

Your post stated that you had a six figure day job and this made it impossible for you to sell successfully on ebay ( proposition being the alternate work commitments made the time commitments of ebay unworkable )

You then went on to specifically ask me how my " six figure day job '' was going. The obvious inflection being that I couldn't possibly have one. What you didn't know is that I have a fairly substantial " day job " with assets valued in seven figure sums that does  provide a significant six figure income per year. ( a sheep grazing business ) This includes approx $50 k of income in the last eight weeks. ( While one of the sales invoices shown in the spoiler was for June, I didnt receive the payment until several weeks later )

I have provided proof in the spoiler that all of my statements are in fact true, unlike the constant fluff and puff coming from your way.
@supermussolinibros wrote:

oh i see Now i understand

you are a professional seller with and ABN and pay lots of tax and lots of fees - it's a career for you and hence your investment in ebay doing well

While I do have a " six figure day job " I still sell enough on ebay to make a significant contribution to my income. The profit margins I receive on ebay sales range from 500% - 1500%. I have owned a number of businesses over the years and have never found another business that provides this potential for such high profit margins. And yes my ebay business is registered with the ATO and I do pay tax on ebay sales.  I sell enough here that the ATO are not going to simply " not notice it ".

- without ebay i guess you are stuffed and rely on people coming here big time.

While my ebay sales are an important part of my overall income, My sheep grazing business is rapidly growing. I also have other business interests unrelated to farming or ebay, giving a diverse income stream. 

Anyone who suggests an alternative is a threat to your comfort zone - aha now the truth comes out.

No one makes 50k selling buttons or cushion covers in 8 weeks or selling cd's or records.

No .......but I do sell over $50 k  per year on ebay selling other items.

That is unless you have made one big sale of a car/boat/caravan etc.

Or on the other hand you have found frankies paperwork in that suitcase that you bought from the opshop.

Your proposition is just plain silly. I don't think the current tax invoices shown in the spoiler would end up in the Opshop. They are not exactly " small beer"  and are required to be kept for five years for tax purposes. 

I don't need to be full of it - at least my education has allowed me to have obtained a job for the future that will never go away, whereas you-sales gone, then you are gone

Agriculture is the second oldest profession. ( we all know what was the first ....Man Wink  )  and it will probably be one of the last before humans disappear from the planet. I think my career choice is pretty safe thanks.

- hey knock knock recession the other day - best of luck to you professional seller and now i uderstand your investment in this place. 

Thanks for letting me know

OK Super, time to man up, put up or shut up. Lets see some real proof of your six figure income and those tens of thousands of dollar online sales you keep puffing about.

Message 63 of 64
Latest reply

Our sales are 75% down on ebay
Message 64 of 64
Latest reply