Sales drop off

Even using the highest promoted listing %  my sales this last 2 weeks have dropped off a cliff. 

Is anyone else experiencing this? Is it because of the new SEO promotion which I can't use on the items I sell?

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Sales drop off

Sellers have been reporting the phenomena you outline for at least a couple of years. It only seems to effect some individual sellers at a time, not a complete site problem. No one seems to have any major insights into fixing the problem, except that new listing activity may help. 

Recently I have not spent the time on ebay that I normally would and so have not had the new account activity I would normally have. The result was one of my selling id's hit the wall with no sales for three weeks. I suspected this might happen, but the abrupt and dramatic nature of the fall was a bit of a shock.

My take on this is that ebay have recently re-jigged its search algorythms to place even greater emphasis in regular account activity. The more you sell, the higher your visibility and so the more you sell. Conversely, the less you sell, the lower your search ranking and so the less you sell, sometimes to the point of ebay oblivion. 

My response was to do 40 new auction listings, including cheap and cheerful items. Three day auctions with relists at a BIN fixed price. I also sent out a number of offers to watchers on existing BINS. This had some impact with 12 items selling on that account in the last ten days or so. Most of these sales have come from the auctions which seem to rank more highly in visibility than BINS but I have sold a couple of the old BINS as well, so it seems to be lifting the visibility of existing listings as well.

Its still not back to normal and I will keep the pressure up with new listings to try to keep account activity happening, but the signs are there that it may be possible to return this account from the dead.

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

Sales drop off

In my 50 years plus in retail, sales have always dropped off for me when a Federal election is looming, but this time it is worse when we take into account covid, floods, interest rate increases coming as well.  Our 2 Ebay stores are well down & even our own website which contributes around 70% of sales is well down.  

I too have started promoting listings to encourage a few sales, but it is all falling on deaf ears.  Whatever the election result is, usually sales start to return, so sales will probably be slack until sometime in May.  Having said all this it probably depends on what products sellers are selling.  Might be able to play a bit more golf for a while if the rain ever stops.

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply