Sales drop, sale only around 3 items a week. Anyone else has similar problem?

Don't understand why such a drop in sales.  May be need to move from ebay to another platform?

Message 1 of 47
Latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

imastawka
Honored Contributor

January is traditionally slow.

Post Christmas - paying off credit cards

Back to school

No spare cash for indulgences.

Message 2 of 47
Latest reply

Stawks - I would have to disagree - the lack of sales has become an Ebay issue. Mine have deteriorated since November 2020 (when item specifics became a thing) and are consistently down around 70-90% since then.

In comparison, on my Etsy store, my sales have never been higher - I'm up 180% on last January alone and 2021 was approx 30% higher than 2020. So people definitely have discretionary income to spend, but my items are not getting the exposure on Ebay that they once did before I updated the listings.

Message 3 of 47
Latest reply

Sorry.  Just based it on my sales.

My items are collectables and I have return buyers.

January is very slow for indulgent items in my case.

Message 4 of 47
Latest reply

OP - I would say the main reason you're having issues is because you don't have any measurements. No point telling a buyer that something is a size 10 top. It's meaningless without some base measurements such as armpit to armpit (to help ladies work out if it will fit across their chest). For your leggings add the waist measurement and length etc.

Buyers are a lot more fussy these days and will skip over listings that do not offer this info.

Message 5 of 47
Latest reply

We had a good few months (selling mostly collectables) before Christmas, with record months in October and November, and a good December.

This month is well down, but that's quite normal for us for January.

Discretionary spending is usually down during the Christmas holiday period.

Message 6 of 47
Latest reply

You don't seem to have been selling for long. Last January was different to this January, as more people were stuck at home. Now they can go to a shop and try before they buy. Plus, everything said about discretionary spending in January.

Message 7 of 47
Latest reply

For me Jan is up 21% year on year

Message 8 of 47
Latest reply

When we had B & M stores January was by far the best month of the year as people are out & about on their holiday break, however we have found year after year for us with online sales, January is always the worst.

I have to agree with jellybird, both our Ebay stores are down 26% & 50% this FY compared to the previous year, however our website is up 73%.

Message 9 of 47
Latest reply

sales are dropping and Ebay know it.   As a past business seller on here has just had ebay marketing on the phone with us trying to get us back to ebay to sell.    We have told them why we refuse to sell or even buy on ebay under managed payments as there way to many loopholes etc.  Why would I sell on ebay when I can elsewhere with better protections as a seller via pay pal.   And why would I buy on ebay again when I go elsewhere and get better protections as a buyer via paypal.....   

Even the ebay rep that was trying to sweeten us with an offer didn't brother with the offer when we started rattling the issues off to them re they managed payments and the lack of protections as a seller...    They even agreed with us they managed payments suck and are losing sellers and buyers to other places..

Message 10 of 47
Latest reply