Scam?

albskee
Community Member

So I'm currently selling a laptop and I received a peculiar message:

"Thanks for your kind respond,Am a Medical Doctor,I'm always busy with patients in my hospital all day,l want to buy the item for my cousin,His birthday is fast approaching,l've been finding it difficult to hit the buy it now button or place bid with my ebay account and l want the package to get to him before the day.l was wondering if you can ship the item to him,l will offer you $1120AUD for the item including shipping&handle fee to Africa via DHL or Express Post Platinum 3-5days delivery,Consider the item sold to me and end the auction immediately.Please email me your paypal id so l can send payment immediately.Glad you cloud help."

I'm not 100% sure what the value of the laptop is... but this seems very high. The message itself is very sus, but I can't work out whats going on. They're offering to pay for the item before I send it, and they're not asking for bank details.

Could they have the payment reversed after it's sent by lodging a PayPal dispute?

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Scam?

Scam Scam SCAM!

STOP all communications with them.

KEEP bidder blocks in place that prevent saels to overseas members.

DO NOT hit any links in emails.

DO NOT email or message them.

DO NOT tell them your PayPal address.

Once again, this is a SCAM.

Fake emails from scammers will look just like the proper eBay and PayPal emails.  BE very careful.

Sounds very suss to me - i wouldn't be giving out any information.

If he has time to send an email why hasn't he got time to make a purchase or bid????

Have you checked their feedback?

Sure there will be more knowledgable people along to give you some answers and advice.

Thanks Leader - much better info than what I gave!!!

You are right Scam,  My hubby got a message on Gumtree  for his ute offered more money than what he was asking.

He stated he was from Tas but overseas on secret mission lol, but the same deal asking for Paypal info.

Don't respond to him if they did pay a stolen credit card and you loose or once you send him your email address  you will receive a scam Paypal emaill  they then hope you will then click on the link to sign into your Paypal account.

Hope all that makes sense, somebody will come along who can explain it better that me. ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

Sorry , was no other post when I thought I would respond ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

albskee
Community Member

How does the scam work and what can they do with my PayPal address?

Does PayPal seller protection cover sellers when the buyer uses a stolen card or initiates a credit card chargeback?

(buyer has a 29 feedback score 100% positive)

I don't doubt what you say at all and I'll be following all your advice about blocking them, i just don't understand the risk to me.

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

albskee,

You'd receive a FAKE email supposedly from Paypal stating that payment was being held safely and would be released to you when a number was given  for the parcel.

All a SCAM

"(buyer has a 29 feedback score 100% positive)"

This is a Nigerian Scammer who has hijacked another member's account.

Phone or email eBay and report the account as hijacked/stolen

Account Security > Unauthorised Account Activity > Report another userโ€™s ID as stolen:

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/contact_us/_base/index_selection.html

Be sure to have these buyer blocks in place. Go to:

My eBay > Account > Site Preferences > Postage preferences > Show >
Exclude postage locations from your listings from your listings > Edit .......and Select the countries you donโ€™t post to.

Tick โ€ฆ Apply to all current live listings
Click โ€ฆApply

And

My eBay > Account > Site Preferences > Buyer Requirements > Show >
Edit .......and tick:

1. Buyers in locations to which I don't post
2. Block buyers who haven't gone through phone verificationโ€ฆ
3. Only apply this block to buyers who have a feedback score of 5 or lower(Having a Paypal Account and / or Credit Card details on file overrides this block)

Tick all other blocks of your choice.

Tick โ€ฆApply above settings to active and future listings.
Click โ€ฆSubmit

Beware of further spoof/phishing emails you may receive .
Do not open them and do not click on any links.
Run all your spyware, keylogging and virus protection and change your passwords regularly.

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

"when a number was given  for the parcel"

= Tracking number

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

Definitely SCAM.

image host
Message 10 of 19
Latest reply