Secondary level claim approval

Hi guys,

I recently sold an item for $580AUD to a buyer in china using a reshipping service so the address I had to send it to was a dock in Sydney, anyway the item sold on the 15th of September, I sent it 2 days later, it came back to me as an incorrect address just over a week later, I double checked the address with the buyer and sent it again, same thing happened it returned to me, so I checked with the buyer again and this time noticed a formatting error with the address so I fixed it and sent it once again this time express post, it was successfully delivered 3 days later.

between it arriving back the second time and being sent for the third time the buyer opened a item not received case, I assumed it would automatically close once the tracking showed delivered and I would get my money.

it didn’t so I contacted eBay support and they said they closed the case in my favour, however it still showed open in the app, so I contacted them again and they said 

I have reviewed the details for you and can confirm that the case has been closed in your favor. However due to high claim value, it needs to go through secondary level approval.”

is this right? How can the case be closed but still open? They went on to say it will be a further 3-5 days to be reviewed.

at this point it will be over a month of the money being on hold and I’m out $60 for sending it 3 times.

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

imastawka
Honored Contributor

It was sold on 15th September, so not a month just yet.

Your money will be on hold for 30 days anyway, as ebay sees you as an infrequent or new seller.

If you have not signed up for Managed Payments, then you will not get the money at all.

Please read this link -

Registering as a seller | eBay

As for the extra payments for postage, that is on you for not checking properly the first time.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

@samanthaann2411 wrote:

at this point it will be over a month of the money being on hold and I’m out $60 for sending it 3 times.

Hang on 15th of september to 11 October, is not well over a month. 

You decided to send it 3 times,  surely after the first failed attempt the penny would have dropped.  That part is your problem.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

@samanthaann2411 wrote:

is this right? How can the case be closed but still open? They went on to say it will be a further 3-5 days to be reviewed.

I can see your point that after you have waited another 3-5 days, it will be about on the month mark since you sold the item.

However, if you are only an occasional seller, then you would need to wait 30 days anyway as funds go on hold for that long automatically if you don't have a recent steady record of sales. You're not really losing any time as I don't think you would have had access to the funds earlier in any case.

So don't fret too much, just be very glad that it has been decided in your favour.

By rights, I would have thought the buyer could cancel the claim against you once the item was delivered.

Just keep an eye on things, keep that record of delivery and chase it up if things aren't finalised later on.

And do make sure, as others mentioned, that you are signed up for managed payments.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

I'm a bit late to the party.  Did you send it to the address that was given to you by Ebay when sale was made?

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

kermit2023
Community Member

$580 for an item listed as *for parts only, not working* is not bad.

Also, buyer pd first shipping of $20, so only $40 came out of your pocket, which you now know was due to your mishap in reading the redirection address. 

At least the buyer received it in the end….. Hopefully you will get your funds soon. 

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply