Seller is being charged percentage on postage

I dont quite understand why we are being charged a percentage on the postage, what has this got to do with selling the item.

Why does Ebay get a pecentage?

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Seller is being charged percentage on postage

This is the buyers responsibilty whether they are prepared to pay postage or pick up if they are in state. 

This is basically between PO and Buyer. Why is Ebay entitled to a percentage, I dont get it?

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

@preloved-possessions wrote:

I dont quite understand why we are being charged a percentage on the postage, what has this got to do with selling the item.

Why does Ebay get a pecentage?

Noone quite understands.

it has nothing to do with selling the item.

because, apparently, they can.

final value fees on everything the buyer pays, including the postage, has been around for a little while now.

there are quite a few threads on it, if you would like to browse.

now that you know, factor that into the costs of selling your items on eBay.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

I realise I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but I'd really like to know why Australian sellers are being penalised by having FVFs charged on international postage while our US counterparts are not. To suggest that it is restrictive is an understatement and it has done more harm to eBay's reputation and the international sales of Australian goods than anything else eBay has introduced in the entire time during which I've been a member.

If they had the common courtesy to try to give me a reasonable explanation I'd even make the effort to attempt to understand their motives, but to have just arbitrarily added it to all sellers costs without prior consultation smacks of the complete and utter greed for which eBay is rapidly becoming renowned, not to mention loathed on a world-wide basis.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Well said cq_tech. They announced that it was going ahead and made absolutely no attempt to tell of their reasoning. It was not up for discussion one iota. A done deal. Fate Accompli. There is no way known now, they will "Back Down". Done & Dusted. 

I still can't fathom their logic and would love ebay to tell all ( truthfully ) , why they made that decision. It's as if they have said "Just coz we can" . Grin & bear it. 

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

What about buying eBay shares?  

If we had a big hunk of shares, if possible over 50% we could put pressure on the managership.

Catch phrase:   eBay for the eBay members.

In saying that, I have no idea who holds shares in eBay & I have no idea how many shares there are in the company.

Another thing, why do the Moderators consistly have no feedback?

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Oh dear, my spelling is not up to scratch this morn, should have been 'consistently have no feedback'.
Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

I realise I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but I'd really like to know why Australian sellers are being penalised by having FVFs charged on international postage while our US counterparts are not.

Careful what you wish for, cq.  We don't want to end up with an Aussie version of GSP.

That would be the last nail,  I would say

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Having no fvf on postage was making freepost less appealing to sellers. so they levelled the playing field. One less barrier for their preffered free post.

I guess it also ties in with using Ebay labels system somehow.

Cos they can.

It makes international sales post parcels, added to rising post costs, totally unviable for most now.

I guess if it seriously hinders Ebay being international trading venue (ie bottom dollar) then they may revise it.

To me Ebay is now a domestic + asian import venue only. Nowhere else is viable

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

@lane-ends wrote:

Having no fvf on postage was making freepost less appealing to sellers. so they levelled the playing field. One less barrier for their preffered free post.

I have to disagree, with the exception of the seller who only ever sells single items to individual buyers.... Charging postage separately and combining (reducing) costs = less money paid by buyers, which = less money paid to eBay. FVF on postage is still a barrier to free post. 

CQ there are other FVF differences in the US - if the seller is registered in China, they get charged FVF on the total the buyer pays, same as here, so if a buyer chooses a more expensive postage service, FVF is charged on that (for many sellers in China, it's kind of a moot point, though).

The biggest rort eBay are seemingly getting away with scot free is the problem they created with the cart for overseas buyers purchasing from Australian sellers. There is no "add to cart" option, and "Buy it now" goes straight to the checkout for immediate payment, despite the seller not selecting that option. That basically means that many buyers purchasing more than one item have to checkout individually for each one, which in turn maximises the FVF eBay collects, as there's no credit if a seller refunds overages due to this brilliant plan eBay hatched (it began in just a category or two a couple of months before the FVF on postage was introduced, now as far as I can tell it affects most - if not all - Australian seller's listings 😞 Smiley Mad ).

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply