Sellers!! Check your banking institution for International Fees for paying ebay monthly Seller fees!

Hi all,
just a 'heads up' for everyone... My ebay seller fees are paid monthly via Paypal - drawn from my CBA credit card if insufficient paypal funds are available.

I was checking my CBA netbank & noticed that an 'International Fee' of 3% was charged when my seller fees (June) were paid by my credit card. I spoke to the bank and was advised that the reason an International Fee was charged was due to the fact that the payment was processed in OS (Switzerland) by ebay.

I just spoke to ebay help & was told that this is a 'current' problem that is being investigated! First time I've ever been charged an International fee for my AU ebay seller fees drawn on a AU credit card.

Ebay advised me that the fee amount will be credited to my ebay account within the next couple of days.

Message 1 of 50
Latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Re: Sellers!! Check your banking institution for International Fees for paying ebay monthly Seller f

I'm still getting charged an international fee, ebay says it isn't their fault. Citibank is saying my payment is getting processed through China.

Message 41 of 50
Latest reply

Re: Sellers!! Check your banking institution for International Fees for paying ebay monthly Seller f

@iscrap76 wrote:

I'm still getting charged an international fee, ebay says it isn't their fault. Citibank is saying my payment is getting processed through China.

Put/leave the money in Paypal and pay from there. No international transaction fees that way.

Message 42 of 50
Latest reply

I'm a little confused by this thread because it seems the majority of people are blaming eBay for processing their monthly fees offshore, and yet they have selected PayPal as their payment option.

PayPal is the company who is processing the payment, and are doing this offshore when the funding source is a credit card.

You can change your seller account to have eBay directly charge your credit card or debit your bank account (not via PayPal) and these should all be processed in Australia.

If you want to use PayPal as your funding source, either ensure there is a sufficient balance each month, have your backup payment as a direct debit, or switch to an international transaction fee free credit card.

Message 43 of 50
Latest reply

"I'm a little confused by this thread because it seems the majority of people are blaming eBay for processing their monthly fees offshore, and yet they have selected PayPal as their payment option.

PayPal is the company who is processing the payment, and are doing this offshore when the funding source is a credit card."

The issue is disclosure. It's like you go to the supermarket, cafe, or newsagency and after paying you discover the company processing the payment for that business charges you $25.  

Message 44 of 50
Latest reply

> The issue is disclosure. It's like you go to the supermarket, cafe, or newsagency and after paying you discover the company processing the payment for that business charges you $25

I whole heartedly agree. My point was to not blame eBay, but to move that blame to PayPal. If you call PayPal's customer service line they will tell you 100% they process their transactions here. The real fact is that they process credit cards on a gateway outside of Austtralia. 

Message 45 of 50
Latest reply

Does anyone from Ebay read these posts?

Message 46 of 50
Latest reply

@pasemmel wrote:

Does anyone from Ebay read these posts?

No they don't, or they don't admit to it or post on any of the boards.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 47 of 50
Latest reply

I was charged a foreign fee on monthly invoice. Does it happen to you any more?

@looney4free wrote:

Any update on the outcome of your enquiry?

@minimum_56 wrote:

Hi all,
just a 'heads up' for everyone... My ebay seller fees are paid monthly via Paypal - drawn from my CBA credit card if insufficient paypal funds are available.

I was checking my CBA netbank & noticed that an 'International Fee' of 3% was charged when my seller fees (June) were paid by my credit card. I spoke to the bank and was advised that the reason an International Fee was charged was due to the fact that the payment was processed in OS (Switzerland) by ebay.

I just spoke to ebay help & was told that this is a 'current' problem that is being investigated! First time I've ever been charged an International fee for my AU ebay seller fees drawn on a AU credit card.

Ebay advised me that the fee amount will be credited to my ebay account within the next couple of days.

Message 48 of 50
Latest reply

i still wonder how to avoid foreign fee?

I am charged foreign fee this month (Jan 2021).

I sometimes paid by saving account, and sometimes credit card account in the past. Sometimes automatic transfer, sometimes manually pay the monthly invoice.

Message 49 of 50
Latest reply

Pay with Paypal. Even if it means putting money into Paypal. That is fee-free.

Message 50 of 50
Latest reply