Sellers, please add buyer phone number to the address label

Please ask all sellers to add buyer mobile number to the address label. Maybe this will require some ebay software programming. In my country the mobile number is used to notify the package arrival by SMS, results in getting it more quickly, and I assume it is also the case elsewhere. Thanks for considering, Efrat
Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Sellers, please add buyer phone number to the address label

I would hate my number on packages

the unscrupulous many hands that go over the package in transit could harvest numbers for resale or whatever

some delivery drivers ring and say I want to safe drop your $1000 item and leave it on the footpath and won't take no for an answer 

Message 21 of 26
Latest reply

I found this post as i am looking for a solution to a sell putting my private mobile number on the parcel label, I DO NOT WANT MY PERSONAL PHONE NUMBER FOR ALL TO SEE

Message 22 of 26
Latest reply

@blastmaster50 wrote:

I found this post as i am looking for a solution to a sell putting my private mobile number on the parcel label, I DO NOT WANT MY PERSONAL PHONE NUMBER FOR ALL TO SEE

I think you'll find most freight services require the receiver's phone number in case there's a problem with delivery.  If that's the case, maybe online buying isn't for you

Message 23 of 26
Latest reply

What is the big deal?  My landline number is available online and used to be readily available in phone books to anybody. I do not care who has my landline number or my mobile number.  What can anyone do to you if they have your phone number? Phone scams?? Well we all know (or should) that the person ringing you saying they are the Queen of England may well not be. Surely by now it is common sense to all to not trust the person on the other end of a phone line to be who they say they are and not to give out any personal details.

My phone number most often appears on parcels from all around the world and I think it is good that I can be contacted if the address is not clear or some such problem arises. I recently returned a parcel to a distant neighbor that had my address but not my name, but had their phone number. Without this, I wouldn't have had a clue as to who they were and would have had to return it to the sender. This is a problem if it comes from overseas.  Everything is online these days.  There is much more sensitive information about us that we need to worry about, not a phone number. You can change your phone number, but you cannot change other personal information.

Message 24 of 26
Latest reply

I really wonder if those of you who are afraid of others getting your phone number, do online banking without a second thought,  put personal details on Facebook,  put personal details in a mobile phone that can be hacked or lost, all the while having no security software. Like to click on links in emails, and believe everyone who phones is who they say they are.

Message 25 of 26
Latest reply

@blastmaster50 wrote:

By all, you mean the person scanning the parcel, and the ones loading it (in piles with other parcels) on to trucks as it goes through the delivery network (let's face it, the number of times eyes are on the parcel between leaving the seller and getting to the buyer are pretty low) - what do you think they will do with it? And why?

Or perhaps someone walking past your house and sees the package will take a peek to check if there's a phone number they can use for... something? There are far better and easier ways to get phone numbers than going around looking at people's packages. 

Personally, I refuse to put a buyer's personal details like phone number or email address on eBay parcels, and it's not out of respect for privacy, it's because eBay's policies don't have any stipulations for what happens when a parcel is redirected, or it has signature required and the buyer overrides that to allow safedrop, both of which become options when there's a phone number of email address on there. I'll put them on parcels bought via my website, though, as those are handy options for the buyer to have, and of course - as with any purchase from an online store, including eBay - permission is given for the seller to do that when the buyer purchases (check any online shop's privacy policy, and you'll see 100% of the time a line about agreeing to share that info with the seller, and providing permission for them to go on to share that info as required to fulfil your order or as required by law). 

If you really take exception to it, maybe include a note with your order requesting no email address or phone number on the label, or update your details registered with eBay. 

Message 26 of 26
Latest reply