Sellers' rights

What do you do when ebay ignores your rights as a seller, decides against you without taking into account your position, refunds the money to the buyer against your protests and despite you putting your case, takes the side opf the buyer with regard to returnign the goods and in the end leaves you out of pocket with the shipping expense and the loss of the item . . . . time to reverse the disproportionate advantage to the buyer . . . .caveat emptor, remember?!!

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Sellers' rights

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

What do you do?   If you want to keep selling on ebay you suck it up and accept ebays terms.

All you can do is use every available tool given to you by ebay to protect yourself from buyer claims and hope that you do not get too many buyers who know how to work the system to defraud you.

Just a tip....ebay does not believe that you have any rights as a seller except what they say you have.

And no, I am not a disenchanted seller...I am a buyer who believes that sellers are getting a raw deal on ebay at present.

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

Sellers' rights

@artmillee wrote:

What do you do when ebay ignores your rights as a seller, decides against you without taking into account your position, refunds the money to the buyer against your protests and despite you putting your case, takes the side opf the buyer with regard to returnign the goods and in the end leaves you out of pocket with the shipping expense and the loss of the item . . . . time to reverse the disproportionate advantage to the buyer . . . .caveat emptor, remember?!!

if all sellers mass protested this with mass exposure ( eg stopped listings , put it on the news,current affairs , etc) ebay would change their rulings for their own good (you would think). its a big call yes but enough is enough of this bs rules and policies they have against sellers.

one of my other accounts i have 3000 plus 100% pos fb but these rules and scammers have stopped me listing anything anymore.

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

Sellers' rights

This is what happened to me over a year ago now and at that stage I was booted off ebay.

I tried every avenue but still got no where lol.

I recall that a whole group that was booted off ebay in the US got together to try and sue ebay for unfairly siding with buyers and kicking

them off ebay and I don't think they got anywhere with it lol.

Ebay need to be accounted for when ebay ruins a sellers business and loss of items and money.

Ebay owe me $$$s.

There should be a way to be able to fight ebay and there should be a firm that gets appointed to deal with ebay when they just go

and ruin lives and steal your money.

Ebay stop hiding behind your closed doors and give sellers a fair go!

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

Sellers' rights

Like most long term and savvy sellers I build a small amount into my selling cost to cover the cost of a few refunds and it costs me nowhere near the total amount I collect, if it did I would have to increase that amount or stop selling if it was no longer cost effective. Look at it like shoplifting from a B&M store, no matter how many precautions you take it is going to happen that you take a loss at some time or another through dishonesty.

I doubt if ebay have done anything that is not covered in their terms and conditions but if a buyer has been refunded and not returned the goods or has returned them after inflicting damage or substituting something else you should go after the buyer independently of ebay, if it is of an amount significant enough to take the time.

Send them a message telling them that because they did ?????? you require them to deposit the sum of $?? into your bank account within 48 hours or you will be reporting them to the police through ACORN for obtaining goods by deception and (if a very high cost item) starting a small claims case in order to get your money back.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

Sellers' rights

PJ ebay are allowing these buyers to keep the items so how can someone chase the buyer when ebay have made their decision

to refund the buyers and also allow them to keep the item/s?

It's ebay's fault for allowing this to happen.

I have tried and tried everything I could possibly think off and I still haven't had any success.

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

Sellers' rights

On the face of it, it does seem grossly unfair; but before I could give an opinion I would need to know what the item was and what was the complaint? If for instance, it was a designer brand item,that was claimed to be a fake and you have nothing to verify the authenticity, then no, you are not entited to have it returned. (I am not suggesting this really  is the situation in your case, but without more information we simply cannot know for sure.)

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

Sellers' rights

Thanks She,

you're close to the mark . . . designer shoes marked clearly and apparently authentically and stamped leather. I described as they were and with photos. Buyer claimed fake and not leather. No evidence was provided to prove not leather or fake and in any case it was clearly "as described" and as shown.  I sold a similar pair same brand to another buyer at the same time who was delighted. Ebay takes no notice of how much +ve feedback you get or for how long you have been selling (many years).  Buyer made no effort to contact and ask questions before buying. I have not received the shoes back despite claim for tracking.

Cheers.

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

Sellers' rights

eBay is way more interested in protecting the buyer these days rather than the seller. Times have changed.

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

Sellers' rights

It's a tough one and I do sympathise. Selling designer items is a minefield, because there are so many fakes out there and some of them are so good it is hard to tell the difference (not that I am suggesting for a moment yours were fakes)  That's why  in these kind of disputes Ebay usually puts the onus  on the seller to prove authenticity e.g. a receipt from a accredited retailer.

When you say I have not received the shoes back despite claim for tracking.  Do you mean the buyer is claiming to have returned them? If this is the case then I would certainly be taking it up with Ebay.

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply